Something strange in my tank this morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjsvt

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I saw something strange in my 29 gal planted this morning and I'm looking for some help identifying it. I saw it first from across the room. Looked like a way to large and long strand of poop falling down from the surface and my Paradise Fish trying to attack it. (BTW, I never see any of my fish "poop") My aquarium is pretty full of plants on both the surface and under the water. I was immediately alarmed and went over to check it out. I couldn't see it at the bottom (black substrate) and stuck my hand in to move around some large amazon sword leaves to see better. I found it "swimming" snake like in the water column toward the surface. Startled me because of the size so I pulled my hand out and also wanted to get my long tweezers to try and catch it. When I went back I could not find it. So my first guess was a large planaria but everything I've read says these are less than .5 inches long, they don't "swim", they glide on the glass or other surfaces and they are nocturnal. And I did see one small one once before. This thing was at least an inch long and probably longer. I know looking underwater can sometimes make things appear larger than they really are but this was way bigger than most "bugs" listed in an aquarium. I could see it from across the room. I also would not describe it as round. It appeared more flat than round. So has anyone seen anything like this? I know overfeeding overfeeding but I really really don't think that I am. And yes I know that even when you don't think you are you still are overfeeding. But I am trying very very hard to limit and control and clean up any extra. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

My guess is a Leach. Happened to me before. Got them in on plants grown outside in Florida.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Found it this morning. Some kind of planaria.i think but it's big. Looks like ready to separate into two

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's the picture

Attachments

• 1441105485775.jpg
    1441105485775.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 135
Yummmyyyyyyyy

Yeah I know! Grossing me out a little bit. No idea how it got there haven't added anything new in months. Could is come from frozen food? I usually do frozen food feeding once a week either blood worms or brine shrimp? So both days it was just after the light came on and while trying to take it off the driftwood with tweezers this morning it was swimming snake like but not very efficiently. Other than size still leaning towards planaria.

Ah that's nothing If you got to see some of the things I found in my tanks both fresh and salt ,you wouldn't eat breakfast lunch or dinner for a week lol

Next time just stick your hand in the tank and if it attaches it's a leech. Lit cigarette or salt and it will release. Lol my dad has terrible scars from leeches from being in the military. I guess they not only live in water but in trees and drop down on you. Ick

Next time just stick your hand in the tank and if it attaches it's a leech. Lit cigarette or salt and it will release. Lol my dad has terrible scars from leeches from being in the military. I guess they not only live in water but in trees and drop down on you. Ick

Yep. They live anywhere that they can keep their skin moist, including arboreal environments...

Salt isn't good for them, add a bit to your tank to kill them. If you have any bigger fish, they will make a tasty snack for them!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Leeches are cool!

Seriously, how can nobody like a little slimy worm that sneaks up from you and can live in water or land, and sucks your blood and maybe gives diseases... It wonderful, is it not??

:)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I work in a parasite lab and have taken parasitology classes so I have to say, despite my bias... leeches are super cool!

I work in a parasite lab and have taken parasitology classes so I have to say, despite my bias... leeches are super cool!

I took a parasitology class in college and there are things I cannot unsee and unknow.
Leeches are mild in the scale of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I took a parasitology class in college and there are things I cannot unsee and unknow.
Leeches are mild in the scale of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do litterboxes trigger you? Does every impulse to scratch your rear make you feel like your colon is no longer your own?

Parasitology classes do things to you, I understand :hide:

Back
Top Bottom