Something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, here's the lowdown- last Thursday, I got 10 zebra danios.
There's only 2 left!
One passed a few hours after being put into my tank, 2 on Friday, 2 on Sarurday, and one yesterday.
1st thing is water chemistry right? That's what I thought so here's the lowdown on that.

Friday's full water test are as follows: pH: 7.2 / High pH: N/A / Ammonia: 0ppm / Nitrite: 0pmm / Nitrate: 0ppm.

Saturday and Sunday, I wanted to test the water again, due to the casualties, but with the 12 hour shifts I was doing, I was unable.

Yesterday came along, and I did my weekly PWC. Before I did my PWC, I took a sample of pre-water change water and tested it, results are:
pH: 7.2 / High pH: N/A / Ammonia: 0.25ppm / Nitrite: 0ppm / Nitrate: 0ppm
When I saw the ammonia reading, I was glad I had did the PWC.
After waiting over 4 hours, I tested the water again. Results:
pH: 7.0 / High pH: N/A / Ammonia: 0ppm / Nitrite: 0ppm / Nitrate: 0ppm.

Water chemistry and test results in hand, I can only assume that it had little to no effect on the deaths.
I did think about stress. The guppy kinda chased the danios around for all of 5 minutes after putting them in, but he gave up when he couldn't catch up to them. The swordtail just completely ignored them.
So it could've been stress- right?

A few other things I've thought of that could be the result:
1- I've noticed that with my airstone and filter setup, I have a bit of an upper waater current. What I mean by this is the airstone comes up the left side, pushes the water to the right, the filter than sucks the water into it, and spits it out, plunging the water down and to the left. From there, the cycle starts over.

2- Over filtration? Is it possible? Yes, I assume it is, but I don't really see how that applies to my tank. Airstone & pump oxygenates water, filter removes any impurities.

3- Cloudly water? I've noticed that after I do a PWC, I'll have cloudly water for at least a day to a day and a half, then after that it'll clear up for a few days, then just before the next PWC, the water is cloudly again.

Anything that could help, I'd really appreciate it. Since there's only two danios left, I don't really expect them to see the end of the week. :(

Judging by your readings I don't think you've done anything wrong. I know that doesn't make it any easier for you. Zebra Danios won't be bothered by heavy current. Over filtration or cloudy water shouldn't affect them either.

Since danios are a notoriously hardy fish, it leads me to believe there was something wrong with them to begin with.

Since danios are a notoriously hardy fish, it leads me to believe there was something wrong with them to begin with.

I was just talking to my buddy. We got fish on the same day at the LFS. I left to go check some other stuff, and when I got back, all my fish were bagged. My buddy just told me that as he was bagging, he removed 5 casualties from the tank.

Something was defintely wrong then. Maybe I got them on the day that they moved in at the LFS? Stress there, stressed when bagged, less stressed but still a bit of stressed when put into a new aquarium? I don't know- does it make sense?

Well your nitrate was on 0ppm that might be an issue. It could mean your not cycled.

Well your nitrate was on 0ppm that might be an issue. It could mean your not cycled.

This could be true but he had low ammonia and nitrite readings. I find it hard to believe that .25 ammonia killed all of those danios.

To get 0 nitrates, I assume you are either using paper test strips, or else have a heavily planted tank?
Regardless, this does sound like an issue with the stock. If they were not healthy when you purchased them, it is not too surprising that they would die. They could have had ick or parasites or ammonia poisoning that weakened them before they made it your tank. I am willing to bet that is the issue and it is not something you did.

To get 0 nitrates, I assume you are either using paper test strips, or else have a heavily planted tank?
Regardless, this does sound like an issue with the stock. If they were not healthy when you purchased them, it is not too surprising that they would die. They could have had ick or parasites or ammonia poisoning that weakened them before they made it your tank. I am willing to bet that is the issue and it is not something you did.

Testing: API Master Freshwater Test Kit (If its good enough for university students, its good enough for me!)

And the tank isn't planted at all. Artifical.

How did you acclimate them to the new tank? Did you float the bag? Just drop them in? Add tank water to the bag water?

Testing: API Master Freshwater Test Kit (If its good enough for university students, its good enough for me!)

And the tank isn't planted at all. Artifical.

Good to know. You may already know this, but just in case, with the API kit you have to shake the heck out of the nitrate test to get it to react. False negatives are not uncommon with that test. Of course, since the other 2 tests are not as testy and they show good readings, I am certain your water is fine. I still vote bad stock. Does the lfs have any sort of a guarantee?

How did you acclimate them to the new tank? Did you float the bag? Just drop them in? Add tank water to the bag water?

Float the bag for 5-10 minutes to acclimate to temperature.
Remove 50ml of bag water, and pour down drain. Add 50ml of tank water. Wait 5 minutes. Continue doing so until I'm fairly certain all that's left in the bag is my tank water. Wait another 5 minutes, or less, if the fish in the bag are looking lively. Feed fishes in tank, so they won't bother new fishes. Net new fishes and into tank. Pour water in bag down drain.

As for the LFS in question, it was the first time I bought from that one, and I honestly don't want the hassle of having to go back there again. Some people may say that smaller is better (in terms of LFS), I disagree. My Swordtail (got it from Petsmart) is doing perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom