Son getting new tank - suggestions & help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MelindaReichert

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are allowing my son to "earn" a tank for his room. He wants a really tall skinny tank he saw, but I refuse to get any type of column tank!!!
He is a little young to do it all himself so it will be ME who monitors tank
with him helping and learning.

We are considering a Extra tall 30 gallon 24x12x24 with a Marlineland Eclipse 2 (200 gph) . He likes the all in one hood / filter combo (as do I :) - I like the clean lines and totally closed top) with obvious extras (heater ... blah, blah)
Does anyone see a problem with this setup??? Any suggestions?
What could be the possible fish load with religious monthly water changes?
He just wants to have easy community fish - classic peaceful starters!

I have had my fresh tank running for almost 10 years - I have to relearn so much about starting one from scratch!!! Last time I had to "dry start " a tank was in college - 1989! It seems to be a whole new ball of wax now! :wink:

Also what is your vote on the type & quantity of fish we could use to first cycle this tank?

And what is you opinion on Marineland's "Bio-Spira" additive to aid in this first cycle. Is it too good to be true? :!:

Thanks all! Love from Texas,

Wheeee! A new tank *grin* what fun!

Ok coupla things to go over:

Things have changed a bit since 1989 ;) Obviously you're aware of this as you're asking about Bio-Spira. Best stuff since sliced bread...no better...can't use sliced bread in a fish tank *grin* Those Marineland folks did some major studies, discovered the CORRECT bacteria which cycle a tank, patented and packaged it. Add that WITH the fish once you decide what you're getting and you're good to go. No worries about cycling the tank with fish in it, as you probably had to 14 yrs ago (although of course you'll check your water parameters to be extra sure). I've personally used it a couple of times; amazing stuff and the only product out there that actually works.

Theres a great website about the nitrogen cycle you might want to share with your son (I'm guessing he's about 7 or so?); even uses words like pee n poo LOL : http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Theres also some great suggestions for easy to take care of "starter" fish at that website: http://faq.thekrib.com/fish-popular.html . However, there are plenty of other fish out there which would go well; does your kid have any other specifics other then "easy community"? Would be prefer more colorful fish? Big schools? Fast swimming? Funny to watch?

Do know a 30 tall means there is less surface area at the top then a 30 long; that will slightly effect your capacity for fish as there will be less area for O2 exchange (you may or may not know, but those cool air bubble thingies? Don't add any oxygen to the water at all; they agitate the surface for better O2 exchange).

I've the 25g version of the tank you are considering. Was a nice tank for 3 angelfish and a plec, but I added 3 clown loaches and 2 more angels LOL so they all moved to a 55g this summer.

Lastly, its recommended to water change a little more frequently then once a month. Remember, everything that goes into a tank stays there until a human removes it (except evaporated water). Even the food, although not in the same form *grin* I water change/gravel vac once a week although I'm prepared to do more if water conditions warrant it. You'll find most folks here do a once a week/once every 2 weeks regimen.

Keep the questions comin!

Back
Top Bottom