Soooooooo ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Moved the betta from a 3 gallon to a 10 ....

.... Sooooooo ....

I've got this empty 3 gallon tank ....

And my desk at work doesn't have anything beautiful .....

Hmmm .....

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

DP needs 5g for 1

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

:) shrimpies?!

You're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have a little scrap of the filter media you gave me to start my 29 last year when I had trouble cycling! And got the GH and KH and all that sorted! Tank is healthy and upgraded to bigger and planted!! I'm using other filter media but superstitiously I always keep some of the original ... And I learned to love the snails (got MTS on purpose even).

So tell me more about shrimp! Do they need much?

You're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have a little scrap of the filter media you gave me to start my 29 last year when I had trouble cycling! And got the GH and KH and all that sorted! Tank is healthy and upgraded to bigger and planted!! I'm using other filter media but superstitiously I always keep some of the original ... And I learned to love the snails (got MTS on purpose even).

So tell me more about shrimp! Do they need much?

I am! :D I noticed when I got back too that you've become posty mcposterson around here too!

I'm working on a shrimp tank too. I had one that had a bunch of Crystal Red shrimp that are kind of fancier ones. But I specifically wanted a low tech, low maintenance tank and I think I made the wrong shrimp decision with that. I eventually noticed last week that there are only 2 remaining =/ So I pulled everything from that tank to restart it entirely and this time I'm going to go with simpler neocaridina species. Like plain old Cherry Red Shrimp but probably a brighter color grade.

With shrimp you can also go filter-less which I have seen you posting about! Although I admit I've been curious how you get any surface agitation with that. I have some jars in my window that grow moss and they get bad surface scum from being stagnant.

What filter do you have on the 3? I just changed out my filter and its 100% better. I had a stupid air driven internal filter and the shaking sucked. I could never find a HOB quite small enough and someone recommended a azoo Palm but the intake was too long so I got a Cascade 20 and its the BEST small filter I've ever had. Perfect fits and works really really well so far.

29g Community

10g Betta

Oh really, I love my Azoo palm! I have that on my 5g. I have to look up that Cascade 20. I have some sort of weird obsession with mini filters.
edit: I can't find it. Is it the Penn Plax Cascade 20? That seems pretty strong

Has anyone ever tried this filter? http://www.amazon.com/Marina-A287-S...F8&qid=1429851096&sr=1-3&keywords=slim+filter
In the 10 size, on a tiny tank? I like its slim profile. I'd rather a filter be long and slim than squat so I can have the tank pushed back further.

edit: Oooh I just read this filter will fit a purigen 100ml cartridge. BUY!

another edit: sorry to mess up this topic with my rambling

Last edited:
Oh really, I love my Azoo palm! I have that on my 5g. I have to look up that Cascade 20. I have some sort of weird obsession with mini filters.

Has anyone ever tried this filter? Amazon.com: Marina S20 Power Filter: Pet Supplies
In the 10 size, on a tiny tank? I like its slim profile. I'd rather a filter be long and slim than squat so I can have the tank pushed back further.

- Have used the next size up but it worked amazingly well and even kept up with a 35G tank that was fully stocked when my filter died and it took a couple months to get another (and extra pwc), the filter pads I doubled, they get a little "fuzzy" from cleaning, but still work great. Easy to see if dirty. I have the S15 but lost a part of it and it is sitting in the misc. parts box now, just in case I find it. Mine ran next to the couch and I didn't find any problem with noise.

Has anyone ever tried this filter? http://www.amazon.com/Marina-A287-S...F8&qid=1429851096&sr=1-3&keywords=slim+filter

edit: Oooh I just read this filter will fit a purigen 100ml cartridge. BUY!

another edit: sorry to mess up this topic with my rambling

Yes it the pen plax cascade 20. It meant for 7 gals but it has adjustable flow and turned down a bit it's perfect! And I like that I could get a bit more flow if needed.

29g Community

10g Betta

The 3 gallon did have a tetra whisper 10i or something like that. It's the Marineland/Tetra 3 gallon kit. The filter isn't pretty but isn't awful and I stacked it with foam cutouts and ceramic media like a canister.

I don't know how I avoided surface scum. Perhaps because it was away from windows and had a large amount of brazilian pennywort floating? The filter died and in my posts here about how to save it someone said "if it's just a betta, don't bother." I have run a long photoperiod (like 14 hours) and it was in a room with a lot of indirect light. All went well.

But now little man wants to reset up his 10 gallon and get frogs, so I figure betta Bob can live in there. I'm pondering whether to try that without a filter, but adding an air stone for agitation.

And the 3 ... Low tech, planted ... Shrimp maybe. Nano fish maybe. (It's such a Hazard living near The Wet Spot).

And yes Threnjen it's gone so well I've adopted 12 Otos (some Petsmart some Wet Spot some World of Wet Pets) other than a filter incident and an injury during a move, all are well. You warned me about them being delicate so I was careful. And the advice to get GH and KH up to 3-4 and use equilibrium has served me well (and others as I've seen the problem repeat here, especially with Portlanders).

So is a 3 appropriate for any nano fish?

Lmao it IS very dangerous living close to the wetspot I recently moved to corvallis for college but I still go often for fish stuff when I'm in Portland. They had some amazing looking scarlet badis there and they were TINY

off topic just one thing I promise, they have a cool plant there i got today. I haven't seen before it's probably not uncommon but new to me. It's called Phyllanthus Fluitans, it's a floater and the roots are RED! :)
http://i.imgur.com/vldbA8S.jpg

29g Community

10g Betta

Oh man ... Floater with red roots? I just answered whether I'm getting little man's frogs wet spot next week ...

Little man's frogs?

Yeah! Red roots. I had never heard of any red floating plants before until this. Excuse the messy roots as these just traveled two hours in a bag from wetspot. The leaves up top will get red too.

http://i.imgur.com/KB3oulw.jpg

29g Community

10g Betta

Little man ... My five year old :)

I'll definitely have to look for that plant!

Back
Top Bottom