South American Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bowhunterking

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
Im contemplating getting a puffer, i have a empty 30gal tank and dont know weather to do fresh or brack water. Mainly what i want to know is do the SAP's teeth grow faster then the other puffers. I read on some other forms that theyy do. Has any one had any sucess keeping one, and will they need to have there teeth trimed if they have a steady supply of snails, and other crustations.
Thank You
Ron

SAPs are schooling fish. Successful SAP owners and the puffer community suggest 2-3 SAPs in a 30g. Their teeth grow pretty fast. You will have to give them over 90% diet of crustaceans in order to keep their teeth in check. Always do at least 50% water changes every single week.

So with a extremly high diet of crustations will i still have to worry about trimming there teeth. And also my gf would like to do a brackish tank with puffers. Do you recomend the figure 8 or the spotted, it would be in a tank alone. Or ar they basically the same. Also what should the salinity be kept at for those 2 breeds of puffers.
Thank You

And also have you personally ever clipped a puffers teeth, how hard is it< and is it possible to do by your self

I have never trimmed SAP teeth, but it looks easy on youtube. SAP need to be in groups. 2-3 is not enough. Groups of 5 or more is better.

GSP is best kept in marine water. F8 is better in low-end brackish. Read the F8 profile in the link in my signature below.

Have you trimmed any puffers teeth, i would imagine it would be the same

No I have not trimmed any puffer teeth. Most of them are easy with a steady diet of crustaceans. My Fahaka gets mostly meaty crustaceans and hard-shelled food every once in a while.
Yeah its all the same for small puffers. Large puffers would require special tools.

Why don't you do Dwarf Puffers? They are fully freshwater, and you only need to feed them snails once a week. You could do 6, heavily planted, with some freshwater bumblebee gobies. It would be a really nice tank IMO.

I would like to do somewhat community tank. And dwarf puffers are extremely violent. And Bummble bee gobies are brackish water i believe. So i was looking at 2 SAP's, a ram, a pictus cat, and a clown pleco. Im still looking to do research to make sure they are compatible. the only one im worried about is the cat. Obviously even though they are the docile puffers they can still snap and attack. But every one should be fine with alot of hideing places.

I've owned a couple DPs and they have never been violent. I still have one after 2 moves. He is very docile and 3 years old. Same age as the tetras in my tank and everyone is happy. The SAP has teeth I am so afraid of trimming. It will be a must do.... DPs dont need snails but they will enjoy them. Bloodworms seems to be everyones fav in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom