Spare tank... what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 4ft tank and a 2ft tank. Neither are set up at the moment, and I only have plans for the 4ft tank. I plan on using the 2ft as the quarantine tank, as I am adding fish in the beginning. The question is, what to do with it after I'm done adding fish? Should I keep it empty, planted, cycled and available as a hospital tank in case needed?

I really like bumblebee gobies, and was considering setting it up as a species tank for them... but then I can't use it if I suddenly decide to add more fish as it would be brackish.

Or, I could leave it freshwater and stock it with a few super hardy 'filler' fish that would live through any quarantine or hospital needs.

Suggestions?

I've never quarantined my fish, but if I were you I would turn it into a brackish tank (after your done quarantining new fish).

on a similar note, how well do gobies survive in a freshwater tank? i'd love to add them to my large community tank, but i keep reading conflicting advice on whether they do ok in fw. i understand that brackish i *ideal* but are they really unhappy in fw?

I bought BB gobies about 6 months ago, and 1 of 4 has survived in my Freshwater tank. But he seems real happy ;P I suspect the 3 deaths were mainly due to underfeeding. . . .greedy angelfish!

I don't mean to sound preachy or anything, but IMO the most responsible way to keep fish is to approximate their natural water conditions to the best of your ability. I would personally keep them in brackish water. If you don't want to mess with a brackish tank, there are a lot of other great options for a 2 foot tank. :D

I agree with Sev

BB gobies are brackish and even though they can live in freshwater, their lifespan will be greatly shortened.

I suspect the 3 deaths were mainly due to underfeeding

I think the deaths were because they were kept in FW.

yeah, i thought as much. i don't think i could keep them in fw with a clear conscience.

so, do you reckon i could use that ex-quarantine tank as a tank tank? or would it be best to have a spare tank in case separations or new quarantines are needed? who here keeps a spare tank cycled?

Well, I can think of a lot of people here that keep a QT cycled and ready to go. I think Fishyfanatic keeps hers cycled with apple snails. Although this is a great idea, I'm not one of those people. :oops: I've been lucky with all my new additions, but I guess it's just a matter of time before my luck runs out and I'll be kicking myself for not quarantining. It's really up to you.

If kept as a QT tank it would be nice to keep it cycled (or keep extra filtration in a main tank that can be transferred to the QT tank when in use, like a sponge filter for ease sake).. As a hospital tank it really wouldnt be nessisary (alot of medications would destroy bacterial populations anyway). In theory it would be nice to keep separate QT and Hospital tanks, not just one, but that may be impractal.. HTH

btw.. Keeping a QT heavily planted with low light plants would be an option as well (using plants to remove wastes) :p

Back
Top Bottom