Sparkletts water in fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxfj40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would Sparkletts water be good to use for my 34g. tank. My tank is 8 days into the cycling process. It has mostly my tap water and some filtered water in it now. My tap water is hard (gh220,ph8.0)I have mollies and platys now. My PH is stable at 7.6. Sparkletts tests out to be 6.4PH and 60GH. I did a 20% water change on the 7th day because my ammonia level reached .5 +. I used 4 gallons of tap and 3 gallons of Sparkletts. Im afraid if I use all tap water my PH will rise too high. I think mollies and platys like hard water but at what GH # is considered hard. Should I be worried about GH and KH at this early stage?

I can not speak about the GH and KH as I've never tested for them. I keep and breed mollies and so have about 50 or so of them. The PH in the tanks I keep them in have always been between 7.2 and 7.6. The last time I checked they were at about 7.2. Earlier I was concerned with the high PH. Now that I've had these mollies for a while, some for a year or two, I've grown less concerned. They all seem healthy and the babies are growing fine so I don't try to lower the PH anymore just keep it at the level of the tap water.

I don't think mollies would do well at a PH higher than 7.6 so I would at least keep it to that. I also do have one platy right now and he seems fine to. I doubt the mollies would like a PH of 6.4 so I wouldn't recommend just having Sparkletts water in the tank. A mix of tap water and Sparkletts could work as long as you put in the same mix every time to ensure that the PH is not rising and falling like a Yo Yo.

Back
Top Bottom