Sparkling gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marknmelissa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had these. I've recently discovered them and think they look great. But I've never seen them in a fish store.
Are they hardy, long lived, friendly, etc.
And...
Where can I get some without having to buy $30 worth of fish?
-mark :frog:

Someone recently was talking about them. Search the board for them and hopefully you will find that thread :wink:

If it is the fish I am thinking of, the singing gourami (T. pumilus) is hardy ONLY if you meet their water conditions.
They used to be rare. I am sure by now the small size has tempted someone to breed them commercially. Or maybe make a small hybrid with the hardier regular croakers. I haven't found a easy source yet.

They are wonderful little fish, quite shy and you have to be careful of tankmates.. they do best in a species tank or with very gentle amusing tankmates like cories or striata botia or you will never hear them sing and rarely see them out of hiding. They can be housed in small social groups and can interbreed with regular size croakers. AS most bubble nesters, do show aggressive tendencies at breeding time and while establishing pecking order. So you need 4 or any uneven number over 4.
And if unhappy/ill they are simply drab little brown fish. And they do bully similar fish and do most labyrinths. As all 3 croakers, they have the striking blue eyes.

You won't see them in most fish stores because the water needs. A store that carries them will have many softwater specialty fish I bet. (Like chocolats and liqourice gourami or actually raising discus). They DEFINITELY take their coffee black! The water needs to be under 7pH and quite acidic. They also get nervous if the water is too clear or not planted enough.
If the water is good, they NEVER get sick and get in the mood a lot.
I love my little vittatus croakers but wish I could get the singing, they have sweeter sound effects.

You should search arouund with the word sale or stock and their scientific name and see if you find them.
I am ordering wild caught through my lfs becuase I wish to become active in species maintainence and I want a pure strain.

Sing? Is it like a softer croaking sound or do they actualy have notes? In short, like a songbird?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1562

looks like Fosters& Smith is getting into the sensetive species import jackpoty...there ya go cheap as a regular croaker.
(Mine were priced at 5 bucks each but no shipping)But after shipping and getting a minimum of 4 in order to keep them from killing each other..you spent 30 PLUS.

http://www.ppaquarium.com/pricelist.asp?page=40&checkstr=

another source but not likely to be cheap for your needs....longer shipping distance..plus wild caught need better acclimatizing

edit: the sound like spring peeper frogs..so is it Croaking or singing? they used to called singing and they do sound very cute. The largest croaker has a raspy click to the squeak..it "croaks"

There are quite a few links when you goodle Trichopsis pumilus. I'd never heard of these guys. How fascinating :)

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gsparkling.html
http://fishinthe.net/html/fishguide/fishguide_fish.php?FC=160&nl=1&nt=2&genus=Trichopsis
http://articles.gpasi.org/trichopsis_pumilus.html

sparklinggourami.jpg

They sound like they would make a great desktop aquarium fish in a nice planted tank.

Thanks guys, they remind me of my female betta, just kicked up a notch. BAM!
Liveaquaria.com said they were easy to keep, but I wanted to check with you guys first. Don't want to get these beauties and then have to watch them die.
I'm very happy with my female betta and she is absolutely beautiful, so maybe I'll just get her some girlfriends.
thanks again,
-mark :frog:

Nope..nope.... belay that order soldier!
They would make baad desktop aquarium fish. Size wise and being labyrinth fish it seems they would be. But reality it wont work because the grouping (they cannot be alone.. they are semi social.) and the grouping (3 fish = an ultra omega who will utimately be harrassed to death). They have to be in at least a 5 gallon, but I suggest a 10 gallon because the extra soft water needed (unless you got it on tap of course).
I know for certain they live at least 8 years when properly housed ( i don't know when this group died). You can keep a pretty big group in a planted tank. They are easier than keeping the other mini labyrinth, the liqourice. But easy is a misleading term..and most sites i found to say have "easy..as long as..water requirements met" Heh! Doesn't that make all fish easy then?

:D I have mentioned them as a 10 gallon specimin several times, but had no pic to show what little gems they can be. Click sounds are aggression, they only trill in the spring/summer or when very contented. They are wonderful little fish!! I highly suggest them to any who are willing and able to provide them with the soft acidic water they require. The new farm bred ones may take a pH in the 7.0 range..maybe even a little higher. But it does take tim efor them to wait for you at the feeding station..they are very skittish. And each person has to gain their trust separate. They also get skittish if you are a person who wears many different outfits, which is why they will come out for men first (guys are jeans and shirts types for the most part ;p Guess that means their eyesight aint to shabby)

i have these guys...there great...i dont think mine wereTHAT sensitive to water cuz when i got mine i didnt know that much about water quality but mine are doing fine....they hide...but if your in the room they'll he visable 8) trust me ...they love food and want to be fed all the time...i the right lighting can be bEAtiful...i have 3 with a powder blue gour.... powder blue is the boss but these guys are nice and if you get the chance dont pass them up...just remeber they are small(1 1/3 inch)

so many colours...red,blue,purple,green,yellow, on and on

i give em a thumbs up :lol:

i have these guys...there great...i dont think mine wereTHAT sensitive to water cuz when i got mine i didnt know that much about water quality but mine are doing fine....they hide...but if your in the room they'll he visable 8) trust me ...they love food and want to be fed all the time...i the right lighting can be bEAtiful...i have 3 with a powder blue gour.... powder blue is the boss but these guys are nice and if you get the chance dont pass them up...just remeber they are small(1 1/3 inch)

so many colours...red,blue,purple,green,yellow, on and on

i give em a thumbs up :lol:

That may be, aqua..that may be :)
As I mentioned, likely hibrids or farm raised may be more pH tolerant than the wild fish my grandfather caught and imported back home in the 70's.
Wonderful little fish!

Back
Top Bottom