Sparkling gouramis & Angelfish....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nol Starks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 6 Angels, and I'm planing on adding 4 sparkling gouramis. Has anyon

...has anyone had good or bad experiences with this before. The 3 angels are about quarter size and one is a bit bigger ( little larger than a half dollar) th

what size is your tank?

6 angels requires a 55 gallon minimum!

but to answer your question. Sparkling gourami and Angelfish are compatible :)
The best gourami for angelfish are the pearl gourami and moonlight gourami. They are the most peaceful.

The only gourami I wouldn't mix with angelfish are the opaline/blue/gold gourami. They are alot more aggressive.

Yes I have 55 and a 36 gal tank. My Angels are all just fine, little, active and always HUNGRY!! Its hard not to feed there little faces every time I walk by the tank and there starring at me. But good to know.

The problems I see are that Sparkling Gouramis can be very shy and prefer a heavily planted tank will other small calm fish. Angels are too large for them. Sparkling Gouramis only get 1.5" So a 10g Species only tank or only other Nano Fish is best.

From the web:
"The Sparkling Gourami is not a schooling fish, but you can usually keep several Sparkling Gouramis together in the same aquarium without any problems. Males are however territorial, especially during the breeding period. Ideally keep more females than males. Including plenty of hiding spots in the aquarium is also important. Combining Sparkling Gourami with more assertive and aggressive tank mates can lead to starvation, since the Sparkling Gourami will not compete well for food. Nippy and notorious bullies must also be avoided.
Since the Sparkling Gourami inhabits standing or lazy water in the wild, strong currents should be avoided in the aquarium. Try to mimic the natural Sparkling Gourami habitat when you set up the aquarium and include a lot of aquatic plants and arrange good hiding places. Floating plants are also recommended, since they will subdue the lighting and make the Sparkling Gouramis less shy. Always leave space between the water’s edge and the aquarium lid, since the Sparkling Gouramis needs to breathe oxygen directly from the air.

Peaceful but very timid. Should only be kept with small species that will not intimidate it. Good tankmates are pygmy rasbora, dwarf corydoras, khuli loach and otocinclus."

Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila) - Seriously Fish

So as far as I can tell, they would starve in your tank, sorry.

Yea I read all that off Google search too, I was hoping for someone with experience. The internet will tell you whatever you wanna hear, I'm looking for people with experience with these fish. But thanks for your effort.

As long as you have the right source the information can be trusted!

I'm sure. Thanks for the tip. But right now, Finding the source is the problem...

Yea I read all that off Google search too, I was hoping for someone with experience. The internet will tell you whatever you wanna hear, I'm looking for people with experience with these fish. But thanks for your effort.

I've talked to club members who have these fish as well as the stores around me that sell them. About as first hand as I can get. I have Nano fish. I have Scarlet Badis, another shy fish that will starve with the wrong tankmates. I see that it IS TRUE. Mine do well, but are very slow eaters. They have very similar care and set up requirements to Sparkling Gs.

If EVERY source says, shy fish, needs same size or species tank only, then I think you should take it seriously ! But that's just my view.

I researched them as I may buy some this year, I got my Scarlet Badis first. I would NEVER recommend Sparkling Gouramis with Angels.

GL enjoy your fish.

Tina
San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

I keep sparkling gouramis, and I keep angelfish. Based on my observations of the feeding habits, activity levels, and aggression levels of each species, I would not attempt to keep them together. Also, I have had angels that were large enough to have been quite capable of eating sparkling gouramis.

I've had NO problems with my 3 spot blue gourami's and angels. Each stick to themselves. Angels fight each other more than picking on other fish. It all depends on size of the tank and places to hide.

I've had NO problems with my 3 spot blue gourami's and angels. Each stick to themselves. Angels fight each other more than picking on other fish. It all depends on size of the tank and places to hide.

I'm glad that this combination is working out for you. Based on the size of your tank, I would have expected that.

However, it is worth pointing out that sparkling gouramis (Trichopsis pumila) and 3 spot/blue/gold/opaline (Trichogaster trichopterus) are VASTLY different in terms of maximum size, boldness, aggression, etc. T. trichopterus are much better suited to living with angelfish. T. pumila wouldn't stand a chance IMO, especially when the angels really get some size on them. Those gouramis are different enough to be classified in different genera, even.

OK. Thank you for the advice. So I should house these guys in a different tank. What would be your recommendations to housing them in with other gouramis? Such as a pearl or gold?? They are both female and I haven't seen any fighting from them ever. The other fish in the tank would be cherry barbs...?

With Angels, in a large enough tank, I like Pearl Gouramis. But then Pearls are my favorites of the large Gouramis. Usually not as feisty as any of the 3 spot Gouramis.
A 55g gets small fast when you have territorial adults ready to breed. If your Angels pair up, you may end up having to move the extras.

Gouramis often dislike other Gouramis, they may be ok as babies, but watch out when they get some size on them.

OK. Thank you for the advice. So I should house these guys in a different tank. What would be your recommendations to housing them in with other gouramis? Such as a pearl or gold?? They are both female and I haven't seen any fighting from them ever. The other fish in the tank would be cherry barbs...?

Sorry, who are "these guys" ? The Angels ???
Who are both female ??, the Angels or the Gouramis ?

Back
Top Bottom