Species only tank-Gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon FW tank with a gravel substrate and lots of fake plants and driftwood with a small piece of real driftwood. I only have an oto in it right now. I've decided to make it a species only tank for FW gobies. I've made a list of possible gobies and needed some info on caring for them. So any information on these gobies will be great. Thanks in advance!

• peacock gudgeon
• desert goby
• Australian empire gudgeon
• rhino horn goby
• knight goby
• jade goby
• neon goby

I would use a bigger tank if you want multiple species. A tank that size would only be ok for a small group of peacock or desert gobies. Keep in mind that knight gobies can be somewhat territorial.

I would go with the desert gobies but that's only cause I have them :b
They are really amazing fish, so far my favorite. I have them in a community tank and it's kind of hard to feed them, but I've worked around it, I drop the pellets onto a flat rock and they eat them after a while but I think if you keep them in a species only tank it will be much easier to feed. I feed them pellets, and frozen blood worms. Once in a while they'll eat a flake that falls down but i don't intentionally feed then the flakes because I read that they aren't really the best for them. They are really active little fishes, they like swimming up and down the sides of my tank and they play around with each other. They're really fun to just watch in the aquarium. The only thing I can think about is you might have a problem finding them because they're kind of rare. I bought mine off a local breeder.

Ok cool thanks! Will they be ok in my 55 gallon semi-aggressive tank? Or with maybe some gudgeons in my 20? Also I have sand in my 55 but will they be ok with a fine gravel substrate in my 20?

Ok cool thanks! Will they be ok in my 55 gallon semi-aggressive tank? Or with maybe some gudgeons in my 20? Also I have sand in my 55 but will they be ok with a fine gravel substrate in my 20?

I believe they should be, what kind of fish? cichlids? The breeder was telling me how they are like plecos, they can basically be in the same tank as almost ALL fish. And I read that gudgeons are peaceful and stay small so I would say yea.
Yes I have them on gravel as well which is why I have trouble feeding them if I don't put their food on a flat surface.

I believe they should be, what kind of fish? cichlids? The breeder was telling me how they are like plecos, they can basically be in the same tank as almost ALL fish. And I read that gudgeons are peaceful and stay small so I would say yea.
Yes I have them on gravel as well which is why I have trouble feeding them if I don't put their food on a flat surface.

Ok thanks! And no, in my 55 they're just semi-aggressive fish like barbs, gouramis, sharks, rainbowfish, loaches, etc

Ok thanks! And no, in my 55 they're just semi-aggressive fish like barbs, gouramis, sharks, rainbowfish, loaches, etc

I think they'd do great in that tank.
Here, I thought I'd share a picture of my gobies :D that rock is the one I usually feed them onImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388861915.796357.jpg

Cool thanks! Do they like to burrow in the substrate, because I can replace the gravel with sand?

I would go with the desert gobies but that's only cause I have them :b
They are really amazing fish, so far my favorite. I have them in a community tank and it's kind of hard to feed them, but I've worked around it, I drop the pellets onto a flat rock and they eat them after a while but I think if you keep them in a species only tank it will be much easier to feed. I feed them pellets, and frozen blood worms. Once in a while they'll eat a flake that falls down but i don't intentionally feed then the flakes because I read that they aren't really the best for them. They are really active little fishes, they like swimming up and down the sides of my tank and they play around with each other. They're really fun to just watch in the aquarium. The only thing I can think about is you might have a problem finding them because they're kind of rare. I bought mine off a local breeder.

You mentioned these are rare and found them at a local breeder. Where is this breeder located? Just incase my breeder doesn't carry them.

You mentioned these are rare and found them at a local breeder. Where is this breeder located? Just incase my breeder doesn't carry them.

She's located here in San Diego. She's really reliable and has really great looking breeding tanks.

I personally wouldn't do it. Tiger barbs (mine any way) eat all the food before it even gets to the midwater so I do not think something as small as a desert goby or peacock Gudgeon could easily get food. You may be able to pull it off if you make sure that they get properly fed. Also the shark may prove to be an issue. My rainbow, when it's feeding time, goes down to the bottom and sucks up all the food real fast, especially pellets. That plus tiger barbs and your other assortment of fish may prove extremely difficult to feed them. Also also since gobies and Gudgeons are bottom dwellers you may have some issues with territory with your shark. If the shark is a red tail he will likely find them as a very easy to get target, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up killing them. If it's a rainbow shark he'll just likely defend his territory, now to most "big" fish when a rainbow chases em off they just swim away and get back to their school or whatever they were up to, but to a small fish like a Gudgeon that would be absolutely terrifying and severely stressful. Personally whenever someone has a shark (red tail or rainbow) I tell them to try and avoid any other bottom dwellers if at all possible to avoid any disputes and just to play it safe. I'm talking about the 55 not the 20, in the twenty you could definitely do a pair of your choosing and some other fish as well.

I personally wouldn't do it. Tiger barbs (mine any way) eat all the food before it even gets to the midwater so I do not think something as small as a desert goby or peacock Gudgeon could easily get food. You may be able to pull it off if you make sure that they get properly fed. Also the shark may prove to be an issue. My rainbow, when it's feeding time, goes down to the bottom and sucks up all the food real fast, especially pellets. That plus tiger barbs and your other assortment of fish may prove extremely difficult to feed them. Also also since gobies and Gudgeons are bottom dwellers you may have some issues with territory with your shark. If the shark is a red tail he will likely find them as a very easy to get target, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up killing them. If it's a rainbow shark he'll just likely defend his territory, now to most "big" fish when a rainbow chases em off they just swim away and get back to their school or whatever they were up to, but to a small fish like a Gudgeon that would be absolutely terrifying and severely stressful. Personally whenever someone has a shark (red tail or rainbow) I tell them to try and avoid any other bottom dwellers if at all possible to avoid any disputes and just to play it safe. I'm talking about the 55 not the 20, in the twenty you could definitely do a pair of your choosing and some other fish as well.

Ok thanks! I'm think of getting a pair of peacock gudgeons, desert gobies, bandit gobies, or empire gobies. Which two would you personally choose for a 20 gallon?

Ok thanks! I'm think of getting a pair of peacock gudgeons, desert gobies, bandit gobies, or empire gobies. Which two would you personally choose for a 20 gallon?

Very close tie between the desert and peacocks with me. Me personally would do a group of peacocks! Those little suckers are amazing! But desert gobies are quite attractive to. Empires are impressive as well but they just don't get my attention as well as peacocks and deserts!

Very close tie between the desert and peacocks with me. Me personally would do a group of peacocks! Those little suckers are amazing! But desert gobies are quite attractive to. Empires are impressive as well but they just don't get my attention as well as peacocks and deserts!

Ok thanks I'll probably do a pair of peacocks and deserts. Then maybe some other community's. Could I do a trio of each with no other fish?

Ok thanks I'll probably do a pair of peacocks and deserts. Then maybe some other community's. Could I do a trio of each with no other fish?

Eh....it'd be risky
If there's enough caves, plants and stuff like that for hiding and breaking eye sight you could maybe do two pair but I would not do two trios. If you did one pair or trio you could get a school of other small top dwelling fish and other proper fish. If you did two pair, there's enough plants and caves and territory you could probably again do a school of small top dwelling fish, but only that. the desert gobies and peacock Gudgeons don't have high bioloads whatsoever so I don't think you'll have any issue with parameters as long as you don't go nuts!

Back
Top Bottom