Specific Gravity of Freshwater Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright so very few people are aware that all fish need a little bit of salt in their water. What I need to know is what should the specific gravity of a freshwater tank be? I started dosing salt to my aquariums a few months ago and it is very beneficial in many ways

I don't think full freshwater fish need any added salt. There usually is some salt in tap that is with minerals and all that. Extra salt can actually do some harm to certain fish. Maybe I'm wrong though, where did you find this information?

I don't think full freshwater fish need any added salt. There usually is some salt in tap that is with minerals and all that. Extra salt can actually do some harm to certain fish. Maybe I'm wrong though, where did you find this information?

Yes, salt can hurt plecos, Cory's, shrimp, and more.

i would have to disagree with you based on this information by a source that i fully trust

Salt in the Freshwater Aquarium

this information being backed by scientific research with references at the end of the article.

well.. Im glad I read that. After hearing about how adding salt to the water is beneficial, especially for livebearers, I was going to add some to my tank for my future mollies.The part about how salt changes the density of the water and the impact this has on fish and plants makes sense.
Im going to have to see if I can find any research that is able to counter what this article says.
I wonder how or where this advice started.

This is my 50 gallon planted tank that I dose salt into. I know they say salt hurts plants but my plants are doing very well and my fish seem to be less stressed out and I have had no deaths or problems with these fish

1 snakeskin gourami
3 gold gourami
2 opaline gourami
2 black skirt tetras
1 Indian glass fish
1 red tail shark
1 German blue ram
3 Mickey Mouse platies
1 African leaf fish
1 common pleco
1 Chinese algae eater
1 brown knife fish

Attachments

• image-321281842.jpg
    image-321281842.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 151
I'm surprised, your stock is a recipe for disaster IMO

They've all been roomies goin on a year now. I'm expecting to remove my leaf fish some time in the next year because he is starting to get big and will soon be trying to eat my smaller fish.

You may just have some young fish. I personally wouldn't keep that stock, because I think you might run the risk of someone going on a killing spree... JMO.

Back
Top Bottom