Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Specimen fish suggestions

Hi all.

I'm planning livestock for a new 110 litre community tank. I have a pretty good idea about most of the fish. Most will be surface/mid tank dwellers between 3 an 5 cms. All the usual suspects.

I'd also like half a dozen or so corys (or khuli loaches). Also maybe 5 Amano shrimp.

Using a tank calculator I reckon my thoughts get me to 75% stocked. My research indicates my stocking ideas are compatible.

I anticipate taking some time getting to full capacity. Also, my intention is to plant the tank heavily.

I should also note that I'm something of a novice, so not after anything too challenging.

My question is, do you have any suggestions for a solitary specimen fish - possibly a little larger than the other fish. Alternatively, perhaps something that I might stick as a pair/three?

I don't want anything too big, but something that might stand out from the other groups. I'd reconsider other stocking options to accommodate the 'loaner' if required.

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have one male flame dwarf gourami in my 20 gallon community tank. He's not that much bigger than the other fish in it, but he stands out with his bright colors. They don't get as big as other gouramis and are somewhat less aggressive, as far as I've experienced and researched.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's my humble opinion, but I detest the idea of a "specimen" or "display" fish. Virtually all fish do better in shoals, school, or at least pairs. One fish, all by itself with no others of its kind, I think, is sad, if not cruel. Male Bettas are exceptions and maybe a few others, but in general, not a good idea.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

What about a Leopard Gourami? Everything I've read about them is they prefer to be a loner and stake out their own turf. They actually don't do well in pairs in smaller tanks. I had one recently pass away but he was an awesome fish and grew very fast. They also look very unique. Won't do well when he gets fullsize with small fish though - will definitely go after neons and such so take that in to consideration. 3 cm is pretty small.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
It's my humble opinion, but I detest the idea of a "specimen" or "display" fish. Virtually all fish do better in shoals, school, or at least pairs. One fish, all by itself with no others of its kind, I think, is sad, if not cruel. Male Bettas are exceptions and maybe a few others, but in general, not a good idea.

Hi - rlederer

I agree with you. The last thing I would want is to keep a fish alone when it does not suit. But I'd anticipate that some fish are naturally territorial, which might mean they are happier without more of their kind. You mention Bettas as an exception. Ideas of this nature are what I'm after.

You'll also appreciate that I also asked about small groups (2s or 3s). That might offer options for something different.

Otherwise, all the stock in considering would be in larger groups (certainly no more and than recommended as best practice).

As a newbie I'm keen to do my research and benefit from the experience of the forum.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Thanks also to the others who have made suggestions. I'll certainly look them up.

Ta all.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry all.

That last post should have read "certainly no less than recommended"!!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

So about 29g

I'd say a Honey Gourami.
Dwarf Gouramis can be more difficult than Honeys. But DG can work.

Avoid the bigger Gouramis in the 3 Spot complex. They get too big and can kill smaller tank mates.

A female Betta can work.

A Pearl Gourami could work. You'd need floating plants and maybe a shaded corner. All Gouramis appreciate that.
Your tank is min size for one. I have a male. He's in my 55g

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	303535
He never harms my Neons or my Rummynose. Even tho the Rummies were skinny tiny juveniles when I got them.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Otherwise I'd do a large group of Neons. That can be a spectacular display. I have 21 Neons. Pics don't do them justice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5320.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	303536
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Otherwise I'd do a large group of Neons. That can be a spectacular display. I have 21 Neons. Pics don't do them justice.
Attachment 303536

Thanks for the suggestions. Some v handsome fish put forward!

I'm also tempted by the idea of fewer species in larger groups. That may be the way I go.

Thanks again

Tags
fish, fish suggestions, spec, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com