Spelunking Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got 2 female bettas and 2 ghost shrimp. The substrate consists of large pond rocks, leaving holes that the shrimp can climb through. Yesterday one of the bettas chased a shrimp under the rock, and was actually laying sideways underneath. Then as the shrimp shot out the second betta attacked it. They proceded to kill the shrimp and eat it. Is this normal?

As a second question, the bettas seems to take turns chasing eachother around, there is no apparent fin damage. Is this normal or do I need to separate them?

How big is the tank?

Female bettas can be kept together, provided they have enough room and many hiding places.

I thougth 1 gal was a minumum for a happy single. I took a plasic cup and cut 1/3 out of one of the sides. I floated it at the top. One sits inside, and the other outside so they are both happy. Either that or they sit on opposite sides outside of the cup. If this is too small, I guess I will have to find a 2nd house for one of them.

Try adding some java fern. It is an easy to grow plant that doesn't require much work and bettas seem to love to rest and hide in fern like plants.

They are super curious fish and seem good at solving problems so it doesn't surprise me to hear about the shrimp. Normally they leave the shrimp alone though.

Back
Top Bottom