Spicing things up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeISright

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 55 gallon has a male GT and as of today 2 syno cats (had to take one in last night for my friend who was experiencing to much aggression in his 29 gallon african tank... I wonder why) trying to rehome one of them! Anyway.. I was wondering what would be the best algae eater for this tank (obviously not a common pleco) and i was thinking about changing my bulbs to coralife 50/50s because i heard the blue can bring out the terrors colors. Any suggestions on anything i just said?

Siamese alage eaters? I'm not sure of Chinese or Siamese, all I know is that siamese arent as agressive as Chinese. Thats confusing! I've never had any experience with them.

Siamese algae eaters are so much better than Chinese, which are aggressive. I had one in two different 55s for years without any problems. When they become adults they're very fetching and worthy of naming in my opinion. They can be amazing algae eaters as juveniles, although some people say they develop a preference for fish food over algae as they mature. Mine ate algae the entire time I had them which was about seven years before I moved and gave the tanks away.

Look into bristle nosed plecos. Small, cute and are hard workers. Provide them with a real piece of driftwood and they will be happy.

mikeISright said:
Ok thanks! Any opinions on the lights?

50/50 bulbs show off Africans beautifully.

Tetra has a great suggestion. I have a bushy nose pleco in my tank. Adorable little girl. The males have a bushier nose in case that's important to you. I got mine as a 1/4" baby so it was impossible to sex. They're perfect in small or planted tanks. In larger tanks where you can have a pair they will mate easily.

Ok ill try to find a bristlenose. If anybody breeds them in maryland delaware or york let me know. And do the 50/50s make it really blue?

mikeISright said:
... do the 50/50s make it really blue?

Not at all. Yes the light will be less yellow and more blue but not strangely so... to my tastes at least. It might look odd over a dark water amazon style tank but the look they give to an African tank is very natural.

Ok ill probably end up trying them. I have black gravel and black sand but i want to bring out the natural blue in my green terror.

Back
Top Bottom