Spider looking thing in shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zemerys

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys.

Earlier my boyfriend told me he saw a spider swimmin in my 5g shrimp tank with 7 rcs and many shrimplets.

He said he observed it and it swam with the shrimp which it seemed to ignore.

I observed the tank and saw him immediately. He was burrowing himself into the soil topped with sand substrate.

It looks like a freakin jumping spider, its gray and about the size of an adult shrimps head but rounded. Has 4 sets of legs. Also bout the size of a typical jumping spider which i havent seen in my apt yet.

I didnt have the chance to take a picture sorry.

But dyu guys know what it is?

My shrimp tank has lots of java and xmas moss. Has sponge filter and about 8 very very tiny baby betas.

I fear there might be more of them in the tank....

Dyu guys think it could be harmful? To adult and baby shrimps and also baby beta?

I managed to kill it and it has red-ish blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've heard of some folks getting aquatic insect larva in their tanks. I think most of them are harmless, but there are some that can attack and kill small fish or shrimp. Dragonfly larva seems to be a common-ish one. I think they usually sneak in as eggs attached to plants.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking a Malaysian Thai spider crab. Look em' up, they fit your description pretty well

Sent via echolocation

Unfortunately its not a crab.

It is indeed a dragonfly larvae!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446412592.353792.jpg

I killed one earlier this morning and now i saw one again. Omg i have a predator in my shrimp tanks with shrimplets and baby beta.

How to kill?

Catch it an smash it, me an my bro would catch these suckers all the time down at the creek an I've seen these kill small crawfish. There bad news

Took ur advice. I had to remove all decos and plants in my tank.... Then i saw one try to burrow itself in the sand.

Pls confirm if the pic above and these onese are the same....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446418589.932880.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446418621.085994.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446418677.516987.jpg

So ive only captured two of them. Hopefully that the end of this but id still keep an eye out for them.

I wonder how many of my baby rcs theyve been eating :(

Back
Top Bottom