Spin Aquarium Around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have some scratches on the front pane of my 29 gallon aquarium and I want to spin it around so the scratches would be on the back. Is this feasible?

I figured if I brought it to 10 gallons of water in it would way around 80-90 pounds (that's including the stuff inside) but read that the sloshing around and uneven distribution of weight can be bad for the sealant.

Do you think it would be worth it? I'd rather not go through the hassle of draining everything and removing the fish but I'm not going to risk 29 gallons of water on a hardwood floor. My parents aren't happy I've already warped a few boards

The tallest fish is a juvenile angelfish who's just a couple of inches and its a Fluval tank that's about a year and half old

29 Gallon Community

Should be fine. It would be easier on the fish if you removed them for the spin to avoid too much substrate junk getting kicked up and breathed in. But, it is not imperative. I had to rotate a 20g tank on its stand not too long ago after an accident. It wasn't too hard.
Is your stand a solid piece on top? Or, just a rim that supports? It is far easier to pivot in a solid top versus on just the rim. Still do-able though.

Ya ok sounds good.
The plan was to just rotate it today or tomorrow and slowly Rescape over a few days.

29 Gallon Community

I wouldn't do it unless you are rotating the tank together with the stand. You'd be surprised how much water weights and you might be putting stress on the tank moving it with all that water. It could workout fine for you the way you're doing it but, why take the risk when all you have to do is to remove more water?
Good luck.

A few years ago my brother decided to move his 29 2" to one side of the rack it was on, he left about 5 or so gallons in it and the sloshing was enough to weaken the seal enough for it to burst a couple days later. If it were me I would do a good gravel vac while draining the water and only leave an inch or 2 with the fish in it. It would certainly be less stressful than being chased with a net and moved twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I spun it around yesterday and I think (hope) it should be alright. The actual move only took 30 seconds with three people and there honestly wasn't too much water movement. Now I just have to Rescape it bit by bit

29 Gallon Community

Back
Top Bottom