spiny-nosed eel, heheehheheheehe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
soooooooo..
bought this spiny-nosed eel today, AND asked the shop owner all the details on it and the like, but I'm still interested in knowing what other people's experiences on keeping this fish are?
And if anyone has located a good factsheet on the internet, it'd be nice to ahve that linked cos i found it ahrd to fidn one :-D

Spiney eels usually require bloodworms for feeding. I haven't seen my spiney eels eat anything else, except for live food (fish fry, and glass shrimp). You can use the frozen bloodworms.

Which species is it? I had a tire-track eel for several years, until it outgrew my tank. It thrived on blackworms, then nightcrawlers after it grew enough to swallow them.
I currently have a pair of Tanganykian plagiostoma eels. They won't outgrow my tank, and don't stay buried in the gravel. They eat frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and occaisonally frozen mysis shrimp. When the cherry shrimp in my 10 gallon become over populated, I plan to use some of them as well.
Glass/ghost shrimp are also good for feeders, as well as guppies. (Mine won't eat fish, though eggs are a favorite if they can find spawning fish)
Regular water changes, keep it clean and fairly fresh, and make sure the top is COMPLETLY covered, or they will find a way out of the tank.

yehhhhhhh, well my community gets fed a combination of frozen bloodworms, some granulated food and a few algae wafers, so it seems right.
its really at home now, like it sits at the front glass half buried round the roots of my moneywort, just chills there all day, does a few slithers around..
and i'm fairly certain its a fish not an eel, cos of tis little tail, but who knows

They are very anal about their diet - They don't eat flakes, granules, sinking pellets
They only eat Bloodworms.

If you keep them, fast moving fish will eat all the food - so be careful.

They are nocturnal - but mine was always out, doing loops on the side of the tank
Get a cave.

get sand because they like to dig !!!
its pretty cool - they burrow into the sand with ONLY their head sticking out.

well i feed them bloodworms so its cool, lol

yeh, the glass cattys have been giving the little bloke a run for its money cos thye just coem with their huge mouths and hoover all the worms off the substrate, however there is always eoungh left ... cos i just sit there motionless soemtimes when i feed them and watch who eats first, who eats last, who eats what, all that. he is a picky little man, but he has a nibble here and there when he feels comfortable he's not contending with any of the other fish (and thinks i'm gone, but nah i'm watchign him, muha)

i figured he was nocturnal, half my fish show that tendency, which si cool, whatever suits them, they still go all showy when in the mood

ummmm.. i have a cave, or two, trust me my fish feel safe thye have everywhere to hide, he doesn't liek the acve cos i think tis too big for him, the upside-down catty loves the cave tho lol
and yes, i am seriosuly considering making him a sand pit area to chill in near the front under some of the foregroud plants where he seems to like it, BUT
Where the hell do i get sand appropriate for aquarium use in little country area of Australia, ahahhahaahhahaha ???? TELL ME lol
i love him he is my favourite already, i love catfish/bottomdewllors

wow!
I didn't notice you were from Australia!
That's great !! me too!

anyways....
I use a product called "CORAL SAND"
now this comes in different sizes - ranging from extremely fine to gravel size.
I picked the extremely fine/tiny size (kinda reminds me of beach sand)
I find it much easier to clean than gravel and it also gives the tank a 'saltwater' look.

you mentioned you love bottom dwellers.
Well, the catfish (cories especially) and the spiny eel will much appreciate the sand over gravel.

zephyr said:
well i feed them bloodworms so its cool, lol

yeh, the glass cattys have been giving the little bloke a run for its money cos thye just coem with their huge mouths and hoover all the worms off the substrate, however there is always eoungh left ... cos i just sit there motionless soemtimes when i feed them and watch who eats first, who eats last, who eats what, all that. he is a picky little man, but he has a nibble here and there when he feels comfortable he's not contending with any of the other fish (and thinks i'm gone, but nah i'm watchign him, muha)

i figured he was nocturnal, half my fish show that tendency, which si cool, whatever suits them, they still go all showy when in the mood

ummmm.. i have a cave, or two, trust me my fish feel safe thye have everywhere to hide, he doesn't liek the acve cos i think tis too big for him, the upside-down catty loves the cave tho lol
and yes, i am seriosuly considering making him a sand pit area to chill in near the front under some of the foregroud plants where he seems to like it, BUT
Where the hell do i get sand appropriate for aquarium use in little country area of Australia, ahahhahaahhahaha ???? TELL ME lol
i love him he is my favourite already, i love catfish/bottomdewllors

My spiny eels have all learned to agressively suck up the bloodworms when they are dropped into the tank. I only feed bloodworms every other day, because it does take a relative excess dose of bloodworms to make sure enough gets to the eel. They love to hunt fish fry and ghost shrimp too.

Bubble_B0y said:
I use a product called "CORAL SAND"
now this comes in different sizes - ranging from extremely fine to gravel size.
I picked the extremely fine/tiny size (kinda reminds me of beach sand)
I find it much easier to clean than gravel and it also gives the tank a 'saltwater' look.
[/quote]

Sounds good, BUT, will that increase the pH of my water? Or is 'coral sand' just an attractive name for this product, lol?

Back
Top Bottom