Sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ichthys

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to get a sponge filter for my fry tank, but I have never used one before. I would need to get the filter, an air pump and some airline tubing, right? Any brands/types that you would recommend? I'm assuming you just attach one end of the airline tubing into the sponge filter and the other end into the air pump?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Good thinking Ichthys. :D That's exactly how they are set up, and they are ideal for fry. Side note: Depending on fish load it's a good idea to clean them daily in tank water. But then, I do daily water changes in my fry tanks anyway.

I prefer the Hydro series sponge filters. What size tank is this for?

Thanks Brian! The tank is a 10gal. I was looking through Bigals catalog and saw the Hydro series...what size would you recommend?

Forgot to also ask: what type of air pump would you recommend? And does the filter come with airline tubing or should I get some? I read that you can stack the sponges for added filtration....would you recommend that or should I stick with one sponge?
Sorry for all the questions!

I use sponge filters on five of my tanks right now. All except the newest are ten gallons in size (the newest is twenty gallons), one is a quarantine tank and the rest I use to raise fry in. I get the Oxygen Plus Bio-Filters from www.drsfostersmith.com because they are inexpensive (aren't all sponge filters inexpensive?), easy to clean and come in many different sizes. For my ten gallon tanks I get the ones designed for fifteen gallons (model 3) because I like the extra filtration and it is easy to remove the sponges from the filter to clean them. Another nice thing about the model 3 is that it uses two sponges. If you need to quickly cycle a new tank you can take one of the sponges off the filter in a completely cycled tank and put it on the filter in the new tank. I have tried the Hydro sponges in the past but did not like them because they were difficult to clean. You had to basically remove the entire filter from the tank to get the sponge off.

I use Rena air pumps from Hagen to drive the sponge filters. These pumps cost a little more than some others but they are extremely quiet. Usually the sound of the bubbles rising to the surface of the water is louder than the pumps are. I have found really good prices on these pumps at www.thatpetplace.com. I just bought a Rena Air 300 there for $29.99. I saw this same model in the stores for anywhere from $47 to $60.

You will need to get airline tubing to go with this. I recommend silicone tubing over vinyl. It is better quality.

You might want to also get a check valve. This is advised if you are putting the air pump outside the tank and below the level of the water. This prevents back siphoning in case the power goes out.

The final item that might be handy is a gang valve. If you want to drive multiple sponge filters off of one air pump this lets you control the airflow to each individual filter.

Thanks gheitman! I have never used a pump before and I have a question: How do you attach more than one thing (sponge filter, bubble wand, etc.) to a pump? Some pumps say it has one outlet and other 2 outlets.....is an outlet where you put the airline tubing into the pump?! I'm so confused :roll: .....

a gang valve lets you split the flow of air from your pump. They are also quite inexpensive. With just the one tank to run, I'd buy whatever your lfs has for sponge filters (rated at 20g), and a very small air pump.

BrianNY said:
a gang valve lets you split the flow of air from your pump. They are also quite inexpensive. With just the one tank to run, I'd buy whatever your lfs has for sponge filters (rated at 20g), and a very small air pump.

Agreed....and I love the ATI Hydro series, too, but use "Lee's" on a number of my 5-10 gallon tanks.

Hi Ichthys,
Look in my gallery...I just posted some pics of an air pump, check valve, and gang valve. If you're setting up a fry tank, you may need the gang valve to lessen the airflow going through the sponge, so the water movement is not too fast for the fry. I use a gang valve to run two sponge filters, but you can still use a gang valve on one sponge filter. My air pump is a Tetratec DeepWater 12. It's very small, but powerful! I definitely need a gang valve with it.

I have used an Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter for 15 gallons, like gheitman mentioned. It is very nice. Right now I have two Azoo sponge filters rated for 10 gallons -- one in each 5-gallon betta tank. There is a length of tubing from the air pump to the gang valve (I then cut this tubing in the middle and inserted the check valve) and then 2 of the 3 ports on the gang valve have a length of tubing going to each of the sponge filters. I open the 3rd valve a little to let excess air out so the water flow isn't too fast for the bettas.

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a Rena 50 and a Hydro 1 (thanks for telling me about www.thatpetplace.com, gheitman!). Just in time, too. I woke up to more mollie fry today and now I don't have to worry about them getting sucked up by the power filter :lol: I connected a check valve and also bought a gang valve, but haven't used it yet. Thanks again for all your help!
Merry Christmas everyone!!

Hydros are excellent filters -- I would have one except they are all too big for my 5 gallon tanks. I hope all your molly fry does well in there! Merry Christmas to you too! :x-mas:

Back
Top Bottom