Sponge filter + air Stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put a sponge filter in my 30g this week and an wondering if it's a bad idea to also use an air stone? Some say yes some say no. I already lost 2 fish last week and have managed to keep my last 1 alive. I don't want to hurt him. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are youre water parameters?

What sized sponge are we talking?

What kind of pump do you have?

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

I have a single sponge for a 30 - 40 g..tetra whisper air pump for 30- 40 g..water parameters I'm not sure. I need to get a kit to test that. All I know is my pH is normal

I actually just took the whisper off and put the old one bk on for now. It was too strong and my fish didn't like it. Will have to get a regulator valve for it

Do you know your gallons per hour of flowrate from the airpump? You want it turning the volume of your tank at least 5x

What do you have stocked in your tank?

Did you cycle your tank??

If fish are dying change the water right now. 50%

If you didn't cycle the aquarium change as much water as you can right now giving your biggest fish an inch below him and an inch above him.

Did you dechlorinate the water?

Yes you need a test kit. That is your first line of defense especially until you get cycled and see how the tank acts.
After some time you will have a pretty good idea of how long it takes for parameters to go out of wack and need a water change.
Even though I know pretty much how my tanks run I still test , and when you test make a log , same when you do water changes ; log it. It really helps to be able to look back and see what you did and when , trust me you will sooner later forget when you did that last water change for example.

Yes you need a test kit. That is your first line of defense especially until you get cycled and see how the tank acts.
After some time you will have a pretty good idea of how long it takes for parameters to go out of wack and need a water change.
Even though I know pretty much how my tanks run I still test , and when you test make a log , same when you do water changes ; log it. It really helps to be able to look back and see what you did and when , trust me you will sooner later forget when you did that last water change for example.

+1 you need one.

But for now, if you didnt change the water change it. When fish die rapidly like that theres gotta be something up with your water that or you have incompatibility issues

I've had the tank for 3 yrs no problem then bam all of a sudden 2 out of 3 died. We actually just did a 50% change on monday nite and put the sponge filter in and he's much more active. I haven't put the air stone in cuz I don't know at this point anyway without a flow valve if it's a good idea. I'm def gonna get a kit tho and do as u say. Any recommendations on which one? I don't have alot of money. Oh and I'm switching back to using prime water conditioner as well cuz I know that stuff is great

If I use the air stone as well I'll have to use the whisper pump bcuz my other one isn't strong enuf to run both. Is it harmful to use both sponge filter and air stone? I also still have my old filtration in until I can build up the bacteria on the sponge. That's what I was told to do for the first 2 weeks

Do you ever vacuum the substrate? Could be old tank syndrome. The build up of organic matter in the substrate could have built up enough nitrates to nuke your fish if you happened to disturb the substrate while adding water to the tank during your water change. If you dont vacuum the substrate id suggest doing that pronto. The api master test kit is good. The freshwater kit is around 25 bucks on ebay. Also most local fish stores (non franchise) will test your water for free. If they do test for free watch them do it and wait with them infront of the test. If you dont they could dismiss you into the store and tell you false things like "everythings good". Or some other bs.

What fish do you have in the tank?

If I use the air stone as well I'll have to use the whisper pump bcuz my other one isn't strong enuf to run both. Is it harmful to use both sponge filter and air stone? I also still have my old filtration in until I can build up the bacteria on the sponge. That's what I was told to do for the first 2 weeks

Definitely keep the old one on thats good advice. Its not harmful to use both but with a sponge there is little use for an airstone since sponge filters do the same thing

Ok ty will do..I can go to the local pet store and have it tested. Everytime we do a change we clean the substrate as well

Back
Top Bottom