Sponge filter is ridiculously tall with powerhead??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered some sponge filters and powerheads to seed for my fry tank. The sponge is the smallest one that DrsF&S had, the Hygro II. However I underestimated how tall this setup is!! With the powerhead on, it's over a foot tall! It doesn't fit in my 10g at all, and it doesn't even fit in my 29g sump which is filled to 4" below the top frame. I can't figure out any situation where I can use the powerhead.
How are other people using powerheads with these??

Cut down the lift tube. If you are using a powerhead, the lift tube length doesn't really matter. Just make sure you are using a low flow powerhead for the 10 gal but I would not suggest a powerhead at all if you are using this filter with fish fry. Use the airline/ airpump option for fry.

Hope this helps

I concur with the above. A powerhead is a bit much. I use the Hydro sponges rated for 80gal in all my tanks. I use one per 20gal of water and they all run off airlines. I have also used a piece of lift tube to connect two sponges one on top the other. This works very well I might add.

Back
Top Bottom