Sponge filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this how it's supposed to go together?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425403446.195404.jpg
I've never had a sponge filter so is there anything else I need to/should do? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yep, that's correct. When you put it in the water just squeeze the sponge to help make sure it doesn't float.

Also, be sure you put in a check valve especially if the pump is going below the water line.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What is a check valve? And the pump (the air pump I'm guessing) is going to be to on the floor beside the tank.

A check valve is a small device that connects to airline tubing and it prevents water from siphoning out of the tank (and into the pump, floor, etc) in the event the pump is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you make a list of everything I need? Right now I have an air pump airline tubing and the sponge filter, is that all except the check valve?

Can you make a list of everything I need? Right now I have an air pump airline tubing and the sponge filter, is that all except the check valve?

yup the check valve is all you should need. they can be picked up for a dollar or two at any pet store. I had a very similar sponge filter that worked very well. One tip is when you first put the sponge in the water squeeze it a bunch of times to get all the air bubbles out of the sponge.

yup the check valve is all you should need. they can be picked up for a dollar or two at any pet store. I had a very similar sponge filter that worked very well. One tip is when you first put the sponge in the water squeeze it a bunch of times to get all the air bubbles out of the sponge.

Ok thanks!

One other thing you might want to get is a three way or gang valve. These allow you to take the output from the air pump and split it amongst multiple "outlets". Let's say you were running two sponge filters. It would allow you to run both from a single air pump. It also allows you to control how much air goes to each outlet. So in case the sponge filter needs less air going to it, you can reduce it (by routing some of it to another outlet).

One other thing you might want to get is a three way or gang valve. These allow you to take the output from the air pump and split it amongst multiple "outlets". Let's say you were running two sponge filters. It would allow you to run both from a single air pump. It also allows you to control how much air goes to each outlet. So in case the sponge filter needs less air going to it, you can reduce it (by routing some of it to another outlet).

Yeah I was planing on getting one of those too.

Back
Top Bottom