Sponge Filter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drew1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

in my 5.5 I'm having issues with very timid dwarf emerald Rasboras... that is a topic of its own and its likely I will resolve the issue by relocating the hyperactive danios to another tank of ours....

My questions is about the filter... I have a "10 gallon" sponge filter and for a base it has a canister of substrate I assume is for biological purposes (I regret not replacing the stones with ceramic bio nodes for the cycle) and on full air pressure with a "10 gallon" whisper pump, there is a knocking sound caused by the build up and then popping of air pockets in the canister of substrate under the sponge. I miraculously was able to remove the bubbler and replace it with an airstone with some ingenuity, and that didn't help. If I turn the air down substantially, the knocking goes away, but my though it, as an ONLY MEANS of filtration, the more bubbles, the more "flow"

BUT, does the knocking make the timid fish even more stressed?

on a side note, this has inspired me to build, from PCV, bio nodes, sponge, and filament, my own air powered filter, I just need to do so in an unpopulated tank to make sure it works before I risk my tank with it

Thanks

Drew

Not sure what you are talking about. What sponge filter do you have? Can you post a picture of it?

Here it is

Not my tank, a stock photo. Same unit though

Attachments

• FA5E4C5F-E540-4D16-86E8-50999B22420B.jpeg
    FA5E4C5F-E540-4D16-86E8-50999B22420B.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 16
Thanks! I actually just ordered a few. Was gonna change out the air stone in our 10 to a sponge. Hoping the ones I bought can fit a stone in them, then I’m way ahead in the ten.

But the 5.5... it has a sponge filter only, no HOB. I’m afraid to switch filters that I’ll kill the cycle

Thanks! I actually just ordered a few. Was gonna change out the air stone in our 10 to a sponge. Hoping the ones I bought can fit a stone in them, then I’m way ahead in the ten.

But the 5.5... it has a sponge filter only, no HOB. I’m afraid to switch filters that I’ll kill the cycle
Not an issue. Just put in the new filter, take the sponge off the old one and rubber band it around the new one for about 2 weeks. Do not rinse out the old sponge. It's a small tank.

Done! Got a "regular style" sponge for 10 gals like the 60 gal units in our 75. Pretty extensive modification was required to make the thing work with a bubble stone, but my gifts are in the area of hotrod fabrication so it was no bother no me. I got my wife one for her 10 gal planted and I am going to post the modifications on YouTube when I convert that one.

Per your suggestion, split the old sponge and put it around the new one like a "C Clip" and rubber banded it. I will leave it for a few weeks then remove. I do a 20-25% water change we week (not really getting at gravel because of planting) so that should help with any spikes

Best

Drew

Back
Top Bottom