Sponge filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the point of a sponge filter? I have had an aquarium for years but never heard much about them.

I dont know a ton about them either. But I know there's one that doesn't need electricity and it just uses a siphon. There's a sponge at the end and all the debris sticks to it. I think they're just cheap easy filters for temporary use IMO.

Usually if you have excellent filtration it would do that, but yes sponge filteres will help with that too. From researching on it. I've got no experience.

I know fish poop and other debris will stick to the sponge but It should suck up some specs. I havent had any experience with them though.

it's also a very gentle filter so it works great in a tank with fry and other small critters

Sponge filters are not what I'd consider to be a polishing filter. THey're a great biofilter, and have very little suction, which makes them great for fry.

Ok I don't need anymore biological filtration I don't think because I have an aquaclear powerfitler and it runs porcelain stones that grow those beneficial bacteria

I would disagree with the polishing aspect of sponge filters to a point.Air powered sponge filters don't have a high rate of flow generally, as mentioned above. However, the fine sponge does catch a lot of fine material as evidenced by the amount of crud that comes out of them when you clean them. Most of my tanks are run with sponge filters (12), from one small air pump.

I am currently running a sponge filter along with my aquaclear so that I will always have a seeded filter that I can put into a QT tank if needed.

Maybe it's just me, but my sponges (ATI Hydro Sponges) don't seem to do a very good job polishing the water. I'm running the 125g size in my 10g, but I ran proper sized sponges in my 40's and 20's for a while. There were always particles floating around. I just think filter floss in a canister does a much better job of that.

I use sponge filters in most of my tanks, it's a cheap and efficient form of filtration. They don't collect particles like a power filter would, but they do a good enough job if you regularly maintain your tanks.

Maybe it's just me, but my sponges (ATI Hydro Sponges) don't seem to do a very good job polishing the water. I'm running the 125g size in my 10g, but I ran proper sized sponges in my 40's and 20's for a while. There were always particles floating around. I just think filter floss in a canister does a much better job of that.

I agree completely. This is my first experience with a sponge filter and I only got it because it was an 'active' filter to cycle my tank. now however I am going to see how it goes running in conjunction with aqua-clear HOB. What I don't like is the space it takes up in the tank.

I don't disagree, but the amount of crud that ends up inside indicates a large amount of fine matter is getting into the filter. can't argue with floss in the cannister either, or HOB for that matter.

So would it be a good idea to have one with my HOB aquaclear? They are just ugly in tanks

I guess I could put a sump on my 29 gallon and put it in there hahaha just kidding

Back
Top Bottom