Sponge Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to use two sponge filters in my 46 gallon, but I'm not sure what air pump I should use. I've never used a sponge filter before. I had an old Elite 800 and I connected it to them both, but its not able to put enough air out. Since I have two sponge filters should I get an air pump rated for a larger tank or just an air pump rated for 50 gallons or so?

Tetra Deep Water air pumps are good for pushing air into a taller tank, and have a lifetime guarantee. They use a rubber diaphragm and silicone flapper valves, but the design is more effective for some reason. Alternatively, a Whisper 20-60 is a decent dual-outlet pump too. I use one on a 30 long to run 2 sponge filters.

and remember to use a check valve to prevent a back flow into the air pump.

I'll go to my LFS in within a few days so hopefully I can get one of those air pumps. Anyways I have another question. Are there suppose to be bubbles in the sponge? When I first put them in the tank, I squeezed out as much of the air in the sponge as I could, but when I woke up today, one of them was floating and it had tons of air bubbles on it. It did have a weight in it too.

It's normal for a new sponge to have air bubbles in/on it. It will become saturated with water and no bubbles will be visible in a few days, depending on how big the sponge is. I've only run sponge filters in my 5 gallon betta tanks. I do agree that the Tetratec Deep Water airpumps are good.

Back
Top Bottom