Sponge in filter keep or destroy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ztigris

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm at the tail end of an ich cycle. It's been off the fish for a week now so I think we are in the clear now.
My question is if I should keep the sponge in the filters or throw them away?
I pulled the charcoal filters from the hob and cut up a sponge filter and stuffed it inside where the regular filter pads go, for more biological filteration. It's a heavily planted 55 gallob tank and the water is very clear aside from the yelllowing of ich attack medicine.

If this is your only filter I wouldn't throw them away since they will be populated with alot of your beneficial bacteria. Can you still use your filter pads along with the sponges?

I'm at the tail end of an ich cycle. It's been off the fish for a week now so I think we are in the clear now. My question is if I should keep the sponge in the filters or throw them away? I pulled the charcoal filters from the hob and cut up a sponge filter and stuffed it inside where the regular filter pads go, for more biological filteration. It's a heavily planted 55 gallob tank and the water is very clear aside from the yelllowing of ich attack medicine.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you replaced the regular filter pad with sponge to aid biological filtration? If so, to elaborate what rivercats said, I would keep the sponges in to seed the new filter pads I'm assuming you're considering placing in. This will avoid a new cycle, and keep things stable. Once you're confident the BB is up to par you can discard whatever sponge you don't need. :)

Thank you for the quick resppnse!
No, it isn't my only filter. I have a small sponge filter on the other side. Plus (I forgot to mention) I hace the dual bio wheels on the hob.

Having the others are good but still if possible I'd try to put as much of the sponge, even if it's just a little bit in with the cartridge since just removing it is still going to cause a loss of BB and the other filters will have to build up more to replace what is lost.

Thanks for the advice! I was concerned about ich spores that may have survived the treatment in the sponge. Since the water is so clear and parm's are good I don't think I'll be putting the cartridge back in. If I understand correctly the charcoal will remove nutrients the plants are now consuming

That's right. Carbon is very useful to remove medicine from a planted tank but otherwise it's far better to keep it out of the system.

I use Purgen in my filters, it only removes organics not metals like carbon will so it won't absorb any of you ferts.

Rivercats said:
I use Purgen in my filters, it only removes organics not metals like carbon will so it won't absorb any of you ferts.

Great advice. I use it in place of carbon for the same reasons. It's also insanely economical if you regenerate it. Just be sure to use it in a super fine media bag (The Bag) or get the one that comes in it's own pouch. It lasts for years.

So much has changed in the years I've been away from the hobby. I don't recall ever seeing purgen. Time for more research. :)
How do you regenerate it? By the way I always love reading the advice from you two! I've learned so much on this forum!

I've also got dual bio wheels (penguin 350). I can swap both cartridges out at the same time with new ones and have NEVER had a mini or new cycle start

I started using Purigen about 12 years ago. It's excellent stuff. To regenerate it all you do is fat a glass jar or bowl add half water and half regular plain bleach ( not the no spill kind) and let it soak for a full day. Then you rinse it in tap water, rinse out the jar and add water with either 2 tablespoons of Prime or pure chlorine remover with no aloe (slime coat). Let it sit for another 12-24 hours and you're golden. It's also good to shake the bag a little during both stages to make sure every bit gets treated. You can do this for years and years.

So much has changed in the years I've been away from the hobby. I don't recall ever seeing purgen. Time for more research. :)
How do you regenerate it? By the way I always love reading the advice from you two! I've learned so much on this forum!

When I was little in the 50-60's our tanks had metal frames. And I think how much everything has changed in the years since I remained in this hobby I am in awe. And these days things are continually changing at a pretty fast pace. It will take alittle time to get your feet wet again but it will all fall into place once you get going.

Oh there's one of those tanks on Craigslist. I was thinking about buying it for another planted tank. Thought it would look awesome with black sand and an all green plant layout

Back
Top Bottom