Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sponge prefilter for aquaclear 30

In my 10 gallon shrimp tank I have an aquaclear 30 and I have baby RCS in there so I need a sponge pre filter. I used the Fluval edge prefilter but it restricted the flow alot so I cut out some of the inside and it started working good, with good water flow. But its been like a week or so and the sponge is starting to collapse on itself and restrict the flow again. So my question is: Is there any sponge prefilter for an aquaclear 30/20 (I think they are the same size) that wont restrict the flow or suck up baby shrimp.

Thanks

^Too bad my parents dont think that.
misterpenguin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could take pantyhose (or something similar), cut the foot out, wrap that around the intake & secure it with a rubber band or fishing line or anything else aquarium safe. That should create less obstruction & keep the shrimp from being sucked in.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
You could take pantyhose (or something similar), cut the foot out, wrap that around the intake & secure it with a rubber band or fishing line or anything else aquarium safe. That should create less obstruction & keep the shrimp from being sucked in.
I thought about that, but is there anything that is made for this?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I don't know of anything other than the prefilter sponge. I have in the past cut sponge to fit inside the intake tube of my HOB, now I've switched all my 10g & smaller tanks to sponge filters.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi, I also run two aquaclear filters, a 30 and a 50. I got my sponges from Amazon, I don't know what kind you are using, but these really let the water through and I have to clean them once a week. If I don't I notice a reduction of water flow. If you are using these sponges, they are black and round, you can cut V shaped wholes into them as long as you know't go through to the intake. When you clean them, do not turn your filter off until you use a knee high, pull it up and around the sponge, then turn off the filter. This way it catches everything. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasina View Post
Hi, I also run two aquaclear filters, a 30 and a 50. I got my sponges from Amazon, I don't know what kind you are using, but these really let the water through and I have to clean them once a week. If I don't I notice a reduction of water flow. If you are using these sponges, they are black and round, you can cut V shaped wholes into them as long as you know't go through to the intake. When you clean them, do not turn your filter off until you use a knee high, pull it up and around the sponge, then turn off the filter. This way it catches everything. Good luck!
Can you tell me the name or link?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Amazon.com: Marina Intake Strainer Sponge for Marina Slim Power Filter: Pet Supplies
That might work because it is a course black sponge which will allow better flow than the fluval prefilters. I do not have experience with it though so i dont know how well it works with certainty.

Tags
aquaclear, clear, filter, sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com