Spontanoius reproduction????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkybraincbfam

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 10gal tank with 3 female sword tails and a Cory cat. We have had them together in this tank for just over 2 months now. Well got home from work today and I saw what looked like a small piece of dust fell into the tank. After closer examination I realised that there where 4 baby swordtails swimming along the bottom of the tank. Now I have never had them in a tank with any male sword tails and do not know the sex of the Cory. But that brings me to a question... Can Cory cats and sword tails crossbreed??? I'm so confused as to how this happened. The only other thing I can think of is at the same time we got the swordtails we got a plant and possibly the plant had some fertilized eggs on it. But I would have expected to have noticed the babies before now. They are still very tiny almost still fri. How long does it take a sword tail to grow from fri to fish??

New to the fish thang

No corys and sword tails can't cross.
Are you absolutely certain they are all females?

I believe female livebearers have the ability to retain/store sperm from a previous mating for several months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 Many livebearers can store sperm for 6 months or more.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Wow that's amazing!! We are currently breeding cherry barbs and the process is so different. Didn't even realise they where live breakers. Thank you all for the help. Since this happened we noticed one of the females is drastically smaller than the others and they where all the same size so I'm assuming the others will be giving birth soon. In fact I'm pretty sure one of them has already begun the process. Well time for a bigger tank ??!

New to the fish thang

Back
Top Bottom