Spot on neon tetra??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse.R

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed this spot on my neon and I'm not sure what it is. I got it last weekend and it seems to be fine and all the other fish do. I just don't know if this could be harmful or if it's nothing. Thanks

Attachments

• image-266618023.jpg
    image-266618023.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 122
Looks like ick/ich to me. My neons get it all the time (it's a parasite)

Sorry stupid iPhone app

You have 2 options from what I know

1) purchase an anti ich med and treat the tank if you have a quarantine tank move it to there but treat both tanks

2) this is what I do. Raise the temp to 86 and add some aquarium salt. Once all spots are gone keep temp at that level for another week.

Ok I just threw a good pinch of aquarium salt in my tank and raised the temp. How long will it take to go away??

In my experience 8-10 days for it to disappear. I also suggest once its gone do 25% pwc for 3-4 days with good gravel vacuuming

I'm taking back another fish this Friday because its really messed up (you can see it in my last thread) and the fish are still under warranty. Do you think I should just take it back too?

I would take it back also but in my opinion I would still treat the tank since it is a parasite it already has most likely infested the gravel

Will I be able to see these things crawling in the gravel??

Again not as far as I know I could be wrong. I've never seen the parasite just the reaction on the fish

neon terra whitespot

Hello there

You need to get the water treated asap hun as your neon tetra has whitespot. I came into contact with it for the first time about a month ago. I have a tropical tank setup abd I had roughly 30 fish neon Tetras, guppys, danios, ghost fish etc I ended up loosing 17 fish in one day the 2nd bala shark I brought had 1/2 of these spots thinkin it may be ok I awoke the next day to find it dead on the surface of the water. Overnight our other fish have been feeding from it which resulted in mass spread of whitespot. Not having anymore at the time for treatment my local pet shop advised I put a table spoon of salt in the water and turn the temp up to 84. And leave it a day or 2 still I was loosing more an more fish. Nicely enough the shop the lent me a bottle of whitespot treatment it was like a blue dye. It's took a long time to clear but since then my water is crystal clear and I havent lost anymore fish although I'm down to about 10 out of 30 :/ once yout water is treated for whitespot any new fish you introduce who may be infected should be treated straight away. Hope this helps its not nice loosin so many to one tiny irritant disease it's one of the worse if you have a plecko they are alot more resilient thank goodness my galaxy plec is tye most expensive in my tank :/

If you do decide to go with the meds also be careful neons and all scaleless fish are very sensitive. Also if you have any invertebrates they usually will be killed by most of the meds

Ugh it looks like ich. I just got over this by neons as well! (Mine were from petsmart! We're yours too? Just curious).

I raised the temp to 86 slowly (like a degree every few hours). I couldn't add salt because I had Khulis (who are scaleless). In the end, I returned ALL the neons. They were infested bad, and one died and I could tell the others were in poor health. Looking back There were warning signs, their fins were tethered looking and they were always gasping quickly! I just thought maybe they were stressed from new environment or something so gave it a few days. I never saw any spots, then one day I woke up and all the neons were covered! (Lol I have a post about this in unhealthy fish). My Khulis only had a couple on them. After a couple days my Khulis didn't have any spots, so I kept the temp raised for a week (plus 2 days just to be extra safe). I will never buy fish from petsmart again, only my LFS even if they're a little more expensive. The guy tried to make it seem like it was my fault but they were still under the 2 week thing and took them back, ich and all. He claimed he was going to put them in a QT in the back but I kind of know better. I feel bad but I learned to have a QT available for all new fish so I never experience ich again! Sorry for lengthy post!

Gah this all sounds really scary. I turned the heat up on my tank and put a tablespoon of salt in. Ill update you all in a few days. Thank you all so much for the replies this info helps me a lot just knowing!!

Ugh it looks like ich. I just got over this by neons as well! (Mine were from petsmart! We're yours too? Just curious).

I raised the temp to 86 slowly (like a degree every few hours). I couldn't add salt because I had Khulis (who are scaleless). In the end, I returned ALL the neons. They were infested bad, and one died and I could tell the others were in poor health. Looking back There were warning signs, their fins were tethered looking and they were always gasping quickly! I just thought maybe they were stressed from new environment or something so gave it a few days. I never saw any spots, then one day I woke up and all the neons were covered! (Lol I have a post about this in unhealthy fish). My Khulis only had a couple on them. After a couple days my Khulis didn't have any spots, so I kept the temp raised for a week (plus 2 days just to be extra safe). I will never buy fish from petsmart again, only my LFS even if they're a little more expensive. The guy tried to make it seem like it was my fault but they were still under the 2 week thing and took them back, ich and all. He claimed he was going to put them in a QT in the back but I kind of know better. I feel bad but I learned to have a QT available for all new fish so I never experience ich again! Sorry for lengthy post!

My LFS is quite a good one and they were telling me that neons are notorious for carrying ich. They actually told me that with neons, if you can, it's best to salt the tank when you add them, just to be on the safe, again if there are no other concerns like scaleless fish. Ich isn't fun at all. Just went through that with our live bearer tank.

My LFS is quite a good one and they were telling me that neons are notorious for carrying ich. They actually told me that with neons, if you can, it's best to salt the tank when you add them, just to be on the safe, again if there are no other concerns like scaleless fish. Ich isn't fun at all. Just went through that with our live bearer tank.

Or,yes, a QT tank.

Soo I took my neon back on Sunday and the people at petland took him back no problem and put him in a heavy planted tank to live. They figured he got attacked so he's safe now. The new one looks good and healthy:)

Soo I took my neon back on Sunday and the people at petland took him back no problem and put him in a heavy planted tank to live. They figured he got attacked so he's safe now. The new one looks good and healthy:)

but i would still follow through with the salt and temperature treatment since you have no idea whether the parasites are in your system already. follow through what other members are telling you will frequent water changes for at least two weeks. i wouldn't chance it if i were you since ick is very persistent and tends to come back when you think you're out of the woods.

Am I the only one who doesn't see ich on the fish?

Edit: Using ich meds on neon tetras is basically a death sentence in my experience. I'd try treating with temperature increase first.

Most definitely raise the temperature to 86f. Add some aquarium salt. Some folks say table salt is safe, but i have read conflicting reports so i just stick with aquarium salt api brand. A tablespoon for every five gallons is how much the box recommends. Keep the temperature up until you no longer see the white spot. Once you are sure you no longer see any white spot keep the temp up another week before loweing temp to normal i.e. 77f.

Also, you cannot see ich in its free swimming state. The white spot is the damage you see from them burrowing into the fish. the heat speeds up their life cycle and allows them to be killed.

Am I the only one who doesn't see ich on the fish?

Edit: Using ich meds on neon tetras is basically a death sentence in my experience. I'd try treating with temperature increase first.

Yes, if you do not see a white spot then i would say you are the only one that does not see it. Then again i am just speculating. I cannot speak for everyone. It is definitely ich though.

I agree with your assessment to go the heat and salt route first though.

Back
Top Bottom