Spotted blue-eye | Pseudomugil Gertrudae log/pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know ... i am really curious of the temperment of Pseudomugil gertrudae and Pseudomugil tenellus. I currently have 3 Celebes rainbows, but i do not want to get them and then have lots of problems between the mixed species. Also, where did you happen to see the Pseudomugil gertrudae? Anyone in Canada know where to get some?

Males seem to bicker over right side of tank (near rock cave and lilies) even after two weeks. Have watched males do boxer circle thing male cherry barbs do at lfs, but was pretty short; they usually just chase a little. They're good temperment wise with shrimp (many of my shrimp are bigger than gertrudae), loaches, and otocinclus. Went with Tanner from Aquabid from madasafish's rec in Bosemani profile fwiw. Happy.

SerLuchbox,
I keep together, a pair of gertrudae, two male furcatus, one male threadfin, and four celebes. They all get on great with each other.

What size tank Fluff? Just curious.

They are in a 20g. The other tank residents are a pair of german blue rams and a few misc guppies.

Lost a female. Don't see known sign of illness on corpse or survivors. Males have been more aggressive with each other. I upped nitrate dosing to 15ppm (from 10ppm) since my last post, but did so with two doses a few days apart. Increased K dosing by 5ppm a few days ago. Increased weekly pwc from 30%-50% but use dechlor and get pretty close to tank temp. These and new lights are the only environment changes since acclimating the fish.

Had success feeding baby spinach.

Sorry to hear about the female. How many males and females do you have? I'm glad they like the baby spinach. I used to feed that to my pleco. Did you sink the spinach or clip it to the side of the tank?

Thanks. I think I have 5f and 3m left... one of the females might be young male. Doubt I'll get replacement, but if I do it won't be until I'm sure about the care of the remaining fish, and tackle this algae problem. Will see. I pinched baby spinach with plant weight. Looked pretty good submerged, too :)

Lost four more over the course of a week after cracking main tank on 5/17 (was installing Durso standpipe and turned clumsy). Also lost an otocinclus but none of my other (from profiles) sensitive fish or shrimp. I first moved all fish to a 12g rubermaid bin, lost two gertrudae (and the oto), then moved them to the sump and lost two more. This may verify their said frailty, or the severity of my mistake :( I have 3f and m left.

Tests on fix show no leaks (applied seal 5/18 refilled with water 5/20), so hope remaining four survive. If so, might add at least two more to reach recommended min, or might try to mop breed these guys. I plan on waiting at least a month. Will continue updates after then if no losses, if this thread is still of interest.

Will take pics of the remaining fish, and their loss of color, if wanted. Here's pic of the main tank from 5/15, just because :fadein:
tank%2005%2015.jpg

Thanks, man. Your suggestion on driftwood placement has held up well I think :)

I definitely want to keep Gertrudae, but am unsure which way to proceed. I figure its best to wait a while to see if I can keep these guys alive after all they've been through, but maybe Ill increase odds of survival if I have a school of at least 6? The male is chasing the females all over and am unsure if thats stress or mating behavior. Maybe survival instinct since they've lost so many companions? I'd rather avoid moving/stressing pets again to try mop breeding, but am very curious about observing the breeding process. Since I don't know what to do I think I'll take my time deciding.

Suggestions, advice, thoughts are much appreciated.

Hey you two, would you wait long before adding more Gertrudae? Anyone else too if you have advice.

Thanks.

Not really. The males chased each other after a couple weeks in the tank. They seemed to bicker over the rock cave on the right. Most of the time everyone either shoaled together near the top of the tank or would go off in pairs or alone all over. Now the lone male seems king of the tank and spends time in the middle, and he chases the females into hiding. It reminds me of my cherry barb (m/2f) behavior, who have spawned but eat eggs as female releases. I dont know much if anything about fish husbandry. Will try to learn. I find it harder to make a decision and move forward with fish, compared to DIY and plant care and such :/

Back
Top Bottom