spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

houlies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two angel fish in my tank and i want to get a spotted puffer but i heard they are not good with long finned fish. Would this be a problem for the angel fish if i get the spotted puffer?

Aren't spotted puffers brackish? And angelfish are strictly fresh water? What type of spotted puffer, and also what size of tank. I wouldn't recommend this if they are brackish.

Bad idea all around. I do/have not kept puffers of any kind but from what I've read on here, some are brackish. Others are freshwater but they are best suited in species only tanks.

Aren't spotted puffers brackish? And angelfish are strictly fresh water? What type of spotted puffer, and also what size of tank. I wouldn't recommend this if they are brackish.

Born in fresh & migrate to brackish. My GSP is full marine. GSP's are VERY aggressive. I don't recommend them to be housed with any non aggressive fish. Also they're overall health isn't very good if kept fw they're whole lives.

+1. Gsp are brackish and angels won't do well with salt long term. Puffers, due to their nippiness and aggressive behavior, are most suitable for a single species tank. And gsp have the ability to reach nerf football size so a 30-40g is best for them, 6" in length and a fat body.

yes its a fresh water puffer. so what your sayin is that they are good with other aggresive fish

yes its a fresh water puffer. so what your sayin is that they are good with other aggresive fish

We've said gsp are not freshwater puffers. They are born in freshwater but need brackish water by juvenile age or will suffer health problems.

they are housed in fresh water tanks where i buy my fish at

That's probably because they're at a young enough age they don't need brakish/marine. Most LFS sell their fish at a very young age. I'd consider a GSP as a marine fish. Never a FW. If you want a freshwater puffer, get a dwarf puffer IN A SPECIES ONLY TANK. You only need 5 gallons...

And shouldn't be housed in FW for long. There are many brackish fish sold from freshwater tanks at stores but need to be switched to brackish water slowly at home.

As sillyfishies said, they are sold young. Like columbian sharks. I see them at my lfs baby's and they are in freshwater, then slowly but surely, they go towards brackish waters after that. I don't recommend this mix.

Back
Top Bottom