Spreading mystery disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish898

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, so I have a mini emergency here. Some of my fish have a few little white spots on them. What is it? how can I fix it? thanks

Sounds like you may be dealing with "ich." Ich is a parasite that attacks fish and can be fatal. Some liken it to the common cold whereas I think of it more as the flu. While fatal it can be easily treated are there are many remedies available at your lfs. The type of fish you have will determine the type of medicine you use. Scaleless fish and invertebrates can perish if you use the wrong type of medicine. Some people also use the old school method of dealing with ich and simply raise the temperature of their tanks to 86 - 88 degrees. This kills the ich that is currently attacking your fish and causes any eggs they may have laid to mature sooner (ich is immune to medicine and heat whilst in their egg). I've had success using just heat in the past. I will add that the sooner you address this the better. If you allow the infestation to continue for too long then your treatment may be too much for the compromised fish to handle.

Good Luck!

i used an anti-ich chemical and it was gone in four days - but i had hardy fish and i dont know if that is the option for you. heat and epsom slat may be your route x

thanks to the advice that everyone gave me and I have already started the procedure :) and for aqua chem I have angelfish,mollies,guppies,platys, and a few school tetras

Angelfish898 said:
thanks to the advice that everyone gave me and I have already started the procedure :) and for aqua chem I have angelfish,mollies,guppies,platys, and a few school tetras

Your fish are most likely stressed from a cramped environment. Stress can bring on ich. Here is an article that explains the ich life cycle, how to treat and how to prevent.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

I just took a look at your profile and I see you have all these fish in a 10 gallon tank. That being the case I would have to agree with Mumma. Given how large angel fish can grow and the fact that they should be kept in pairs, 10 gallons is really small. I currently have 4 angel fish in a 60 gallon tank and I have to keep on top of their growth to ensure that they will be happy in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom