Squirt and Dump? Vs. Float question for acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CGGorman said:
bosk1 said:
I think we are overlooking one critical factor that should go into all of our decisions: do they even have tigers in Siberia?

Sure do.
http://www.siberian-tigers.com/

bateman-siberian-tiger-l.jpg

*LOL* I'm so glad that you cleared that up for us!

It's true, we could go round and round and still be in the same place, trying to look at the best way of acclimating our fish to their new homes.

Hey can anybody tell me if what i do is ok. When I get the fish home I put the bag into a Translucent but not transparent conainer bag still tied I then untie the bag put the container into my tank get out my handy kitchen timer and set it for 3 min take a clean turkey baster(set aside for just this purpose)suck out 2 onces of water from the bag squirt into the sink(by by) and then add 2 onces aquarium water and start the timer. Timer goes off (BEEP BEEP)repeet and I continue this process for about 30-40 minutes. After doing this i remove the container aand net the fish out and place it in my tank is this ok or am i over comlicating things?

For FW or SW fish, brant? As far as I know, SW takes a more complicated a process to acclimate.

If it's FW, yeah, I'd say you're overcomplicating slightly. :lol:

For FW: I float the bag for 5-10 mins (temperature acclimation), dip it in the tank to get some tank water in the bag (water acclimation) and wait 5-10 more mins, then net the fish and transer 'em to the tank. I've never had any problems doing this, but it's only been slightly less than a year, so take it fwiw.

you know I was doing the complicated version, but just today some pencil fish came in from overnight shipping with one doa and a cloudy bag.

I temperature floated for 15 mintues and netted the survivors out and just put them in my tank.

With the amount of ammonia that might have been in the bag, I figured they were better off just getting out. We shall see how they fare.

Personally, I only worry about long acclimations when the water in the bag and the water in the tank are going to be very different.

When I brought my goldfish to school from home, I used the long drip acclimation method. I knew the well water at my house would be very different from the muni water at school, so I gave the fish plenty of time to acclimate.

When I have since purchased fish from the local store (less then 1mi away) I've only floated the bag for ~15mins to equalize temp. I know the pet store is on the same muni water system I am, so I'm not as worried about the other params of the water.

Back
Top Bottom