Stabilizing pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettacove

Aquarium Advice Freak
I use R/O water mixed with tap water for my tanks, this gets the pH to 6.8 and a GH of 3. But after about a day its starts to rise and is at 7.2 by the 2nd day after the change. I change my water everyother day so its usually only at 7.0 when i change, but still! Is there anything I can do to stabilize it at the lower temp? If I don't do water changes then by the end of the week its up to 7.8 and possible higher. (i did a test with it, but i took the fishies out)

thanks
ashley

your GH is too low to have a stable pH. it is better to have a stable pH then one that varies so much. If you want a lower pH add LOTS and i mean LOTS of driftwood. Driftwood helps with keepig pH lower

How can I raise the GH without changing the pH? How hight does it have to be to be stable?

I don't have the tank space for driftwood...

ashley

You didn't mention your tank size, but I have had good luck adding 1 teaspoon of baking soda to my 50 gal. weekly. It raises the KH slightly without raising the GH. but stabilizes the ph. :D

Thats cus i have several tanks ranging from 1liter to 20gals.

Does the baking soda increase the ph at all?

ashley

Back
Top Bottom