Stacked 29 Gallon Aquarium Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laffslast

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 2nd 29 gallon tank for my bottom rack. Originally, the plan was just running a HOB on each but there is not enough space above the lower tank to add one.

They will each be moderately planted, I’ve got a decent sized order coming in from Dustins. If possible, I’d love to find a way to get a single canister with enough capacity to handle both tanks. Maybe set it up as a quasi sump/canister filter combo? Has anyone had experience with this or see any downfall? I’m thinking Inlet from canister to the bottom tank, canister outlet on the top tank, and an overflow or drainage going from top tank to the bottom?

I’m hoping to avoid the eyesore of having some sponges in my aquariums if at all possible and don’t want to get a smaller tank or move to another rack.

Attachments

• DF1B316A-CB99-435A-AB85-5AE92D32E6A0.jpg
    DF1B316A-CB99-435A-AB85-5AE92D32E6A0.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 17
Sicce and marineland among others make internal canister filters. I run several of the tetra whisper 40's, they are internal too and don't hang over the back. But with any of those options your back to having something inside

Sicce and marineland among others make internal canister filters. I run several of the tetra whisper 40's, they are internal too and don't hang over the back. But with any of those options your back to having something inside

I've got the Marineland internal from when I dealt with an algae bloom with the diatom filter. I did try that out with the standard filter cartridge, but boy does it push a lot of water for a 29 gallon tank. Those fish were stuck in a pretty heavy current. That's when I started trying to avoid the messy appearance of sponges or internal canisters if at all possible. I just got the Fluval 207 for my living room tank, and it had me jogging my brain if I could make it clear to work.

Granted, diseases can spread, but I'll pretty much treat this as one 58 gallon tank that is split up in two.

Yeah, as long as your prepared for that, with a little engineering it would work. Just don't let the water level drop below your ghost overflow box and burn up your pump

Back
Top Bottom