Standard Store Guarantees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm just curious to find out what the 'average' standard store guarantee is where you buy your fish from. Here are a few examples from some local lfs in my area...

Store #1- Guarantees their fish for only 48 hours. If the fish dies, you bring it back with a water sample. If all paramaters are ok, you can get another fish in it's place. If the water is out of whack, you get store credit. No replacements are issued on buying incompatible fish (i.e. buying a Gourami to put with an Oscar)... (this store doesn't sell salt water fish).

Store #2- Guarantees fish for up to 15 days. If the fish dies, you bring it back with a water sample. If all paramaters are ok, you can get another fish in it's place. If the water is out of whack, you get store credit. No replacements are issued on buying incompatible fish (i.e. buying a Gourami to put with an Oscar)... (they sell salt water, but I'm not sure what the policy is for them).

Store #3- Guarantees fresh water fish for up to 14 days, nothing over $25, and no salt water fish are covered. If the fish dies, you bring it back with a water sample. If all paramaters are ok, you can get another fish in it's place. If the water is out of whack, you get store credit. No replacements are issued on buying incompatible fish (i.e. buying a Gourami to put with an Oscar).

- Mandy

I think one of my LFS has a 14 day guarantee no questions asked, all you have to do is bring the fish, but all you can get is store credit. The other 2 have 21 day guarantees, bring in the fish, no questions asked, you get a new one. I'm sure they have different policies on SW fish, but I only have FW, so I never asked.

My LFS offers a 7 day guarentee of Freshwater and 48 hours on Saltwater. You have to bring in a water sample and if its ok, you get a replacement or store credit towards another fish, if the water is out of whack, you don't get anything.

Here's the LOCAL store (all owned by the same owner): No guarantee on Saltwater fish for any reason. No guarantee on Cichlids for ANY reason (they could have ich, doesn't matter, they aren't covered). All other fish is 24 hours but you must have pristene water conditions. I had a pH off by .2 and they refused to guarentee the fish.

Here's the usual store that I buy from: Saltwater fish are 72 hours, Cichlids are 7 days, and all other fish are 14 days. Cichlids are guarenteed for everything except being beat up on unless an employee recommends that you buy incompatable fish (ie: Male Auratus and Yellow Labs). I LOVE this store. You can either get a replacement fish, store credit, or your money back.

My Secondary store: 24 hours on ALL Freshwater fish, 48 on all Brackish, and 72 on all Saltwater fish.

LFS#1 - Three day guarantee...just bring in fish. Fish replaced or store credit

LFS#2 - 48 hour guarantee...just bring in fish. Same as #1

LFS#3 - No guarantee, no responsibility, no customers really soon. :mrgreen:

The guarantee is the only nice thing about Petsmart. 14 days. no water samples, no questions. refund or exchange. Does not even have to be dead.

many around here no gaurentee too many idots returning fish for incompatiblity

one is four days they like the fish and a water sample but give you new fish or credit for another fish with just the fish

14 days for big store s they want the h2o sample

One has 30 days with water sample, if water is good new fish or store credit, water no good, no nothing. They have fw only.

Second has 14 day same conditions as above. No guarantees on sw fish.

one lfs has no guarantees on any fish at all. Have only purchased one fish there, no more after that.

I just looked online and discovered 3 more lfs in my area. I'll have to check those out sometime and see what their policies are. The must be small places since I've never heard of or seen them, so they probably don't have good policies.

petsmart here has 14 days
petco has 15 days
petland has 1 day
walmart has 3 days
terri's aqualand has 7 days.

One Stores has 48 hours, no questions asked.

Another store has one week. You provide a water sample before purchasing the fish. Your receipt is then stamped 7-day guarantee. Just bring in fish.

Back
Top Bottom