Stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I am getting a 75 gallon and was wondering if there r any cheap solutions or things to use besides getting a stand? Thanks

I've got one tank (a 20L) supported on four cement blocks and some 2x - you'd want a good straight 8' 2x10, cut in two pieces and six to nine blocks (depending on how high off the floor) - three stacks of two or three. It ain't pretty, but you're looking at $20 - $30 max.

Are you handy with a saw and a hammer? There are some great DIY stand videos on YouTube.

Doh! Sometimes there are great deals for stands on Craigslist or thrift stores.

My mom won't let me build a stand :(

Bummer, dude.

FWIW Lowes or Home Depot will cut a board(s) for you. The dimensions I used would be just an inch or so larger than the tank itself (the 2x10) - so it sorta disappears beneath the tank.

Where is the tank going (in the room)?

Did u use just one board

The single 8 foot board should be cut into two 4 foot boards. Those two boards, placed side by side on top of the blocks form the 20" wide platform the tank rests on. The 75 should measure about 48" long by 18" wide so the boards will be a tiny bit wider than the tank and just as long. The picture shows roughly what I'm talking about, only with a couple 2x4's I have lying around. The blocks are 15" long so the boards should be 2½" past the end of the block on either side.

ForumRunner_20130901_075335.jpg

How many cinder blocks high would u suggest

I like sitting by the tank and observing: two blocks high, with the board puts the bottom of the tank about 20" off the floor. Three blocks would be better for a show tank viewed while standing.

Back
Top Bottom