Starting a 55gal tank. Filter recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigHoss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm in the planning stage for my 55 gallon tank.

I bought the tank from a friend and he used a Topfin 60 and UGF with air stones and said he had no issues. After some reading on the forum, it seems the UGF is not the way to go because of clogs and such. So...
My question is, what type of filtration is the best for a 55 gal community tank?

I am also debating what type of substrate to use. Sand or gravel? I don't plan on having a planted tank but not really sure how easy it is to clean sand. I have had success with gravel and a vac so any pros and cons you can give me would be helpful in making my decision on this.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Substrate is personal opinion. Most here like sand. I personally like gravel. The fish you are keeping will also help determine which substrate is better. As some fish prefer sand and vice versa.

As for filter, canister filter in my opinion would be best.
The most popular canister filters are Fluvals, Eheim Classics, and SunSun canisters. (There are plenty more brands)
Your budget will also determine which will suit you. Go for a minimum 5x the water flow of your tank. Aim for 10x flow rate for premium filtration.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Filter: I am in love with my HOB-style Aquaclear. They do make 50, 70, and 110 gallon rated versions. I run two 50's on my 36g and I get phenomenal water clarity. They are customizable as far as media goes, and very quiet to run.

I agree that an UGF is not the easiest to clean nor maintain.

As far as substrate: I used gravel and pebbles for most of my life. I just switched to sand and it makes a huge difference for me. There are no particles of food that get between the pieces of gravel, and the soft substrate is perfect for my cory cats.

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

So if I were to buy a HOB for a 55g, what size would I want to get?

I'm liking the Aquaclear brand, would the 110 work or is that too much filtration for 55g. Is there such a thing as too much?

No such thing as too much!

Depending on how long your tank is, you might want a 110 and a 70, one at each end. Or, two 110s.

The nice bit about the ACs is that you can adjust the flow. So, if two is creating too much current, turn them both down a bit.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

It's 48" long. If there's no such thing as too much then what's the minimum? 5x? So that would be about 275 gph?

Hello,
In my opinion:
5x minimum for canister.
10x minimim for hang on back.

I had an aquaclear 70, on a 27g very lightly stocked tank. Even though it is rated for alot more, I felt is was perfect

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a AQ 70 on my 39g tall. I had first started with a Aqueon QF, and it wasn't quiet, and quickly switched.

My first tank had a whisper on it, and that filter worked well, but the largest whisper is one big HOB filter. I agree with others, that bigger is better though. The whisper was 10x, and now have a tiny bit less than 10x on the 39g and the water is sometimes slightly cloudy. I am planning to load it with Purigen as soon as I can learn what it is chemically or how it works, but heard it can polish water.

Your Tank

Hi everyone,

I'm in the planning stage for my 55 gallon tank.

I bought the tank from a friend and he used a Topfin 60 and UGF with air stones and said he had no issues. After some reading on the forum, it seems the UGF is not the way to go because of clogs and such. So...
My question is, what type of filtration is the best for a 55 gal community tank?

I am also debating what type of substrate to use. Sand or gravel? I don't plan on having a planted tank but not really sure how easy it is to clean sand. I have had success with gravel and a vac so any pros and cons you can give me would be helpful in making my decision on this.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hello BH...

Under gravel filters are outdated. A Hagen Aquaclear 70 is plenty for a 55 gallon tank as long as you commit to changing half the water in the tank every week. The 70 will provide the necessary aeration to support the tank and changing out the tank water regularly will maintain healthy water conditions for the fish and plants.

Gravel is preferable to sand. Sand can compact in areas and cause water chemistry issues. Gravel is easy to clean and water is easily circulated through it to avoid accumulated waste.

B

Some of us mix canister and HOB especially with cichlids.
My preference is sand - they dig enough to keep it mixed. If you use a HOB with sand, shorten your intake so sand doesn't get in your impeller.

Thanks for all the replies! I've decided to go with an aqua clear 110. I'll start there and see if I need to add another one. I checked the measurements of my tank and it's actually a 50g tank. The AC 110 has a 500 gph rating so that's 10x filtration on a 50g tank.
So the 110 should be enough right?

If that isn't good enough try the aqueon quiet flow 55/75

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom