Starting a 75 gallon freah water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savanuh1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new I'm looking to start a new 75 gallon fresh water tank . I currently have a 10 gallon however I'm not sure if there are many differences in upgrading . Any input would be great !!

Hi I'm new I'm looking to start a new 75 gallon fresh water tank . I currently have a 10 gallon however I'm not sure if there are many differences in upgrading . Any input would be great !!

Well 75G means more filtration requirements, more heating requirements and bigger water changes. Do you have any hardware and do you have a stock wishlist we can advise you on? :)

Well one benefit will be that your water parameters will be much more stable with much more water around.

I am starting out with just a stock tank right now . However i have decided i would like to do a fresh water tank with small mouth bass and a few brim which are very common in our area and are very hard fish from the reaserch i have done. But i would liket o know the best kinds of filters for such a large tank ect .

A Fluval 406 Canister filter would be a good choice. They have a huge Fluval FX6 but I think it would be too big for a 75. I used them on my 220g.

I'd second the Fluval 406 recommendation. Plenty of flow in my 75g. I've actually been wanting to do a similar native tank. I quickly decided against the SMB because of their adult size. I would recommend some sunfish (blue gill, greens, pumpkinseed, etc) instead. They stay smaller and you could do a few in a tank that size.

Unfortunately - or fortunately - every time I go out looking for sunfish I end up with bass or cats. Never thought I'd have this problem. ;)

The thing is i have apond on my property also that feed and maintain and plan on relaseaing them once they are mature

75 Or 50 Gallon

I have not yet purchased the tank . I am wondering the diffences as far as mainting a 75 and 50 gallon tanks ?

Soo i have decided to go with the 50

So I have decided to go with a 50 gallon tank below are is a list of thing that came with the tank anything to add or subtract ?

50 gallon tank
200w heater
Gravel
Glass canopy
Fluorescent light
Penguin 200 filter
Rena cartridge filter

There really isn't going to be much of any difference in maintaining a 50g or 75g tank other than having to do slightly larger WC's in the 75. But a 75 will give the fish more room and more stable water parameters. I always go with the bigger tank when I have a choice.

As for as your list I'm not familiar with that filter but a canister filter is the best choice on larger tank. They move a lot more water and you have a ton more space in them for various types of media.

So I have decided to go with a 50 gallon tank below are is a list of thing that came with the tank anything to add or subtract ?

50 gallon tank
200w heater
Gravel
Glass canopy
Fluorescent light
Penguin 200 filter
Rena cartridge filter

I'm familiar with the filter, it's rated for a tank up to 50 gallons, personally I'd go with the Penguin 350 if you were to do a HOB filter for a 50 gallon, but I'd take RiverCats advice and opt for a canister filter.

Back
Top Bottom