Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question Starting a community tank!!

I've just finished cycling a new 44g tank and am ready for some more fish. I currently have 2 angels and 6 tiger barbs. I want to add 10 Neon Tetra's but have heard the Angels will eat them. I have a friend with a 125g, who has that fish combo and they leave the tetra's alone. I'm thinking that's because it's a igger tank? I have live plants and wood for the tetra's to hide. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try Cardinal Tetras as they grow larger. Failing that, fully grown Rummy Nose tetras won't get eaten by angels either.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Angelfish require somewhat special water parameters and are not very good tankmates. As they mature they become very aggressive and need lots of room. If you want to keep angelfish, do some research, and be prepared to buy several aquariums.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnarthur View Post
Angelfish require somewhat special water parameters and are not very good tankmates. As they mature they become very aggressive and need lots of room. If you want to keep angelfish, do some research, and be prepared to buy several aquariums.
Thanks for the advice..Although I've had my angels for 2 years (moved them from my 55g). I bought my tank used (with the fish) and the angels have never caused me any grief. They've always been with the tiger barbs. I've never had any prolems with water...guess I'm doing something right!!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Hey fred,
Welcome to AA!

I want to chime in on a couple things here.

Firstly, congratulations on the success with your tank. Angels + Tiger Barbs are a mix I personally recommend against but the two of them together is a sight to see, I am sure! If it's worked for 2 years, then it works!

Secondly, unless they are wild caught (unlikely) or altum angels (even less likely :P ) I am sure your tap water can accomodate them unless you live in the sewer.

Finally, Angels may eat neons (they do in the wild) and may not. If you regularly feed them flake, it's up to the temperament of the fish. If your pair breeds, neons (or any tetra) may not stand up to aggression as well as the Tiger Barbs.

Okay, hope that's enough to think about for today Have fun!
taylorodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with everything that Mr got tanked said

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

When angelfish get ready to spawn, they establish territories and become very aggressive. If they're old or of the same gender, they may be less inclined to spawn. However, big fish still eat little fish, and Tiger Barbs can become fin nippers.

If you're interested in raising angelfish to spawn, they will probably do better in a single species aquarium.

After saying that, I must confess to being rather biased on the subject of mixing too many or incompatible species. Fifty years ago that was a difficult lesson to learn by the trial and error method.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnarthur View Post
When angelfish get ready to spawn, they establish territories and become very aggressive. If they're old or of the same gender, they may be less inclined to spawn. However, big fish still eat little fish, and Tiger Barbs can become fin nippers.

If you're interested in raising angelfish to spawn, they will probably do better in a single species aquarium.

After saying that, I must confess to being rather biased on the subject of mixing too many or incompatible species. Fifty years ago that was a difficult lesson to learn by the trial and error method.
Thanks!!! So far so good (I only moved the 2 tiger barbs I had and my angels) about 2 weeks ago. I bought 4 more tigers to avoid them Fin nipping at the angels. I was going to get another angel but decided against it (don't want to create a problem where there isn't one now =) I think I'll let my plants grow a little bigger before I try the tetra's (more places to hide) I really appreciate the advice, although I've had my 55g for 2 years the fish had already been together for a few years...I'm rambling now...lol
Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No such thing as rambling here

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community, community tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com