Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
After a horribly failed attempt to keep African cichlids in which I became so frustrated in a fit of rage everything was given away, I have decided to begin a 29 gallon freshwater tank.
I'll purchase the tank on Friday, so I've got some time before the fish are added (including the gut wrenching gravel substrate decision), but I'm thinking about a Tiger Barb tank. I'm well aware of avoiding long-finned, slow-moving fish (your betas, guppies, gouramis, angelfish, etc.), but I haven't been able to find a reliable and consistent compatible tank mate list. The red tail and rainbow sharks are consistent fish on this list. I have read this forum's article on Tiger Barbs , but feel my question is still unanswered. It's not the end of the world if it ends up a species only tank, but I'd prefer to see some variety. Also, if you have some ideas for a good stock for a 29 gallon tank that doesn't involve Tiger Barbs, I'm all ears and would love to hear your suggestions!

You could do 8-10 tiger barbs and a bristlenose pleco. I wouldn't do a shark in a 29 gal. I've heard rosy barbs can go with tigers but in a 29 it might be a bit cramped given that you have to have a good number of tigers to mitigate aggression. If you didn't do the tigers you'd have more options for some other fish.

You could do 8-10 tiger barbs and a bristlenose pleco. I wouldn't do a shark in a 29 gal. I've heard rosy barbs can go with tigers but in a 29 it might be a bit cramped given that you have to have a good number of tigers to mitigate aggression. If you didn't do the tigers you'd have more options for some other fish.

+1 for the Pleco. You could also do some loaches. Just make sure you have plants, caves, etc for places to hide if the Barbs ever get aggressive. To make it more interesting you mix kinds like Green, Albino, and the normal ones to achieve some variety.

Look at the fish in my 75gal .. You can do a few different barb species that TB's will get along with.

As for non Barbs, keep them in the 8-10 range and they'll pretty much not harass anyone. Clown loaches, Serpea tetras, Z-Danios, H-Rasboras ... It's all Good.

Betta's, Angels and other large finned fish .. Yeah ... That's another matter.

I'm nor at all an expert but I believe lobsters and tiger barbs work! IMO if it is only tiger send you can do 15, Mabye more, then a lobster or bn pleco. If you don't do tiger barbs, black ruby barbs are similar but peacful, and can be with many tank mates. A stock with them as the main species could be
10 black rumy barbs
2 kribensis cichlids
4 Cory catfish
3 male guppies
Also, those sharks need 55 minimum

Look at the fish in my 75gal .. You can do a few different barb species that TB's will get along with.

As for non Barbs, keep them in the 8-10 range and they'll pretty much not harass anyone. Clown loaches, Serpea tetras, Z-Danios, H-Rasboras ... It's all Good.

You have no photos

Ummm no to Clown Loaches in a 29G

I work in an aquatics store and Tigers are the most returned fish we sell, just in front of Angels and large Clown Loach. no matter how many warnings we give. I've seen all sorts of fish terrorised by Tigers, from Mollies to young Firemouths, no matter how many of Tigers are in a group sometimes they just nip, nip, nip and other times they are the super little fish they are and keep all the aggression in house.

You have no photos

I meant look at the fish listed on my signatures. In a 29 gallon, most of the fish I listed would work ... Minus clown loaches, RTS's and Denison Barbs .. They get too big.

As was mentioned, you can go species only and do the three main TB color variants.. Regular, albino and green TB's.

There must be a better combination if you don't have the barb? Seems a lot of hassle to me!

OK. I think the 3 color variations might work. It's basically like having 3 different kinds of fish. I've been doing research and the one thing that concerns me with Tiger Barbs has been the "headstand" in which the fish will stay in one place nose down.

OK...so, I'm still playing around with species for my new 29 gallon tank. I'm about 99% positive it will include all 3 variations of Tiger Barbs. I've been thinking that the Buenos Aires Tetra would be a good addition to provide a fourth color. I've read that Buenos Aires are boisterous fish, like the Tiger Barb, and have a reputation as fin nippers, so I think they would be a good fit. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom