Starting a new tank soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxane1232

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is your favorite brand for heaters and filters? Im going to be putting up my 37 gallon in the next few months so trying to get a few things every month so I'm already when its time to set up. I want to do Angels, sterbai and an undecided schooling species, so it's important that I have a filter that has a good current for the Angels.

I think for hang on back type filtration you want something with media flexibility meaning you can put what you want with them as opposed to a cartridge you have to replace. The cartridge based systems tend to throw away too much of your beneficial bacteria.

A couple good proven options are the AquaClear line of filters and the Fluval Cx line of filters. They are both made by the same company. I personally like the Cx line better but they are getting harder to find. Not sure what the long-term future for those is.

I recently started testing the new Seachem Tidal filters in a couple of my tanks and so far I like them a lot. We have a lot of brief power outages where I am so the self-priming feature is awesome. It is also easy to control the output.

As for heaters, my working theory is that they all suck. I stopped counting the number of heaters I have had fail over the years. The Eheim Jager heaters are the most consistent I have found, although they are not as nice as they used to be. I am also trying the Cobalt Neo-Therm heaters in some smaller tanks because they are so compact and get good reviews. After losing so many fish to heater failures I now either use a severaly undersized heater or an external temp controller as a failsafe.

I've always used Aqueon heaters. I've never had one go bad, but I do question how accurate they are sometimes -- but I suppose that could be a problem with most of them.

I've always been happy with Fluval filters. Picked up an AquaClear this last time because the price was right. It's nice, but I do hear the Fluval C line is a little better as far as the media basket.

Back
Top Bottom