Starting another tank(3rd)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scooby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.....I'm setting up a 55 gal F/W tank...gonna try my hand at Angels. Question is, if I move a Magnum 220 filter (has a sponge on the media basket) from my 75 gal planted tank........will it get my cycle started? If anyone has any input..........I'd be appreciative. I don't want to torture any fish....

Thanks
Dave

I used some of the water and filter from an established tank and a plastic container with some of the substrate to start up my 125 gal. I have had no ammonia or nitrites from the start. Instant cycle?

Scooby,

I would have to totally agree with Menagerie. You will have a cycled tank by moving your established filter from your 75 to your 55.

I just set up my 26 gallon long tank with a 1year old established 10 gallon filter and completely had the tank cycled. Since my filter was smaller then yours, it did take a day or 2 for the bacteria to catch up with the bioload.

I would suggest that you set up your filtration system first and let it run for a little bit to get the water circulating before you add your fish. Other then that, your good to go.

quick question...if I do this with the Magnum from my established 20 gallon to a new 38 gallon set up, what do you do with the tank you took it from? New filter?

That's a good question. With my 10 gallon, I had about 2 dozen fry in there that were old enough to be moved to my community tank, so I guess you can say I had a free tank to do this.

In a lot of cases though, a lot of people run 2 filtration systems or have more then one filter and/or sponges that they can spare to use in another tank.

Just remember that whatever you take from your established tank must be able to handle the change.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that, aside from the 10 gallon filtration system I do have an additional filtration system that is adequate to handle my 26 gallon.

i also have a question on this subject (rather than posting a new topic) when i set up my 40 gal if i run the filter on my 10 gal (Penguin Bio-wheel 125) on my new tank could i also put the fish from my 10 gal in there? or would they not be ok?

when i set up my 40 gal if i run the filter on my 10 gal (Penguin Bio-wheel 125) on my new tank could i also put the fish from my 10 gal in there? or would they not be ok?
Are the fish from the 10 going to be living in the 40?

If they are not, here is my suggestion, squeeze as much bacteria as you can from the filter on the 10 gal to the new filter. Do a fishless cycle with straight ammonia--it should go quickly since the bacteria are already there, but you need to get them up to handling a LOT of fish. Unless you are going to add fish slowly, then I have a different answer :D

thanks for the replies! I thought the filter would do the job.......

Gonna wait for the temp to come up and make the switch.
Thanks again
Dave

Back
Top Bottom