Starting New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I just got rid of my last tank. I gave it to my father in law all fish included because of my upcoming move. I plan on purchasing another fish tank after I get settled in at my new residence. I am debating on two tanks:

125 gallon
22"L x 72.5"W x 23.375"H
150 gallon
24"L x 48"W x 30"H

One is significantly less wide than the other. At this moment I am wondering and looking for pictures and/or ideas from people who have tanks in these dimensions.

I know I do want to have live plants, I do want to have a sand substrate like I did in my last tank. I will be using a Marineland C-Series Multi-Stage Canister Filter at 530 GPH. I do like a mix of real rock and wood in my tanks as well.

What kind of fish/combination of fish would you guys suggest in a tank like this. Not really looking to do a Cichlid tank or a salt water tank. I had way to many problems out of it. Thanks for the ideas and I really hope to get some pictures.

If you want plants, don't do the 150 gallon. The lighting required for a planted tank that deep would be insane. A 125 gallon actually has more options for both fish and plants because it has a larger footprint. The 150 gallon is a better size for reef tanks or african cichlid tanks because it has more height for big rock piles.

Also, for fish: Clown loaches! A school of massive clown loaches would be amazing in that tank.

I love Clown loaches. I also thought about those elephant fish. What are your thoughts on those.

I love Clown loaches. I also thought about those elephant fish. What are your thoughts on those.

From what I've read and heard stories of, elephant nose really should be species only.

Are you looking for bigger fish or say huge schools of smaller fish?

Caleb

From what I've read and heard stories of, elephant nose really should be species only.

Are you looking for bigger fish or say huge schools of smaller fish?

Caleb

I am kind of in a toss up. In my last tank I had some dojo loaches, pictus catfish, a Pink Tail Chalceous, and some tiger barbs. (weird combo I know right) I never had any problems out of them and all the fish ate, seemed happy, and they got pretty big.

Back to your question. I don't really know that's why I am asking for suggestions or pictures of what people have in a similar size tank. I had a kick for a while I wanted to get big custom tank and have a fresh water ray but I found that it would be kind of hard to have anything else in it. I wish I could have a mix of both big school and a few big non aggressive fish.

Ahh okay I'm thinking some bigger fish like severums(green/gold) or keyhole cichlids. Both pretty community friendly.

How about Rainbowfish? In a 72" tank they would LOVE that.

Caleb

Tomorrow I'll show you some pics of my 55 gallon tank. It's not a 125, but it's a scaled down version of what I would do with a 125. Swap yoyo and angelicus loaches with clown loaches, have a big beautiful angelfish as a centerpiece (or some severums or keyhole cichlids), and then a group of moderate sized schooling fish (in my case, glowlight tetras and platys). The clown loaches will be massive and impressive, as will the angelfish, and they get along with most things in terms of having a big school of smaller fish.

Ahh okay I'm thinking some bigger fish like severums(green/gold) or keyhole cichlids. Both pretty community friendly.

How about Rainbowfish? In a 72" tank they would LOVE that.

Caleb

I just looked at some rainbow fish. I think me and my wife would really like that. I never heard of a keyhole cichlid. I thought they where kind of aggressive fish (all cichlids in general). I didn't know anything about the severums either. Had no idea those where community compatible. Would a few clown loaches or dojo loaches be compatible with those.

I just looked at some rainbow fish. I think me and my wife would really like that. I never heard of a keyhole cichlid. I thought they where kind of aggressive fish (all cichlids in general). I didn't know anything about the severums either. Had no idea those where community compatible. Would a few clown loaches or dojo loaches be compatible with those.

Clowns yes they will work well. Just be aware these guys grow SUPER slow.

Sinibotia will pulverize me but I say dojo loaches are highly adaptable to a range of temps. Though I should note they are technically a coldwater species. I've had mine in a tropical tank (75 degrees) for over a year now though and he's 7-8 inches fat and happy. They are very lovable fish. Mine will hand feed and just play in general.

Caleb

Yeah, clown loaches would be compatible! Dojo loaches are actually cooler water fish though. They can survive in tropical water but it cuts their lifespan and can lead to disease.

There are a lot of community compatible cichlids! You just have to go about it a certain way. Most of them aren't aggressive, more that they just need their space.

Sinibotia will pulverize me but I say dojo loaches are highly adaptable to a range of temps. Though I should note they are technically a coldwater species. I've had mine in a tropical tank (75 degrees) for over a year now though and he's 7-8 inches fat and happy. They are very lovable fish. Mine will hand feed and just play in general.

Caleb

75 degrees is considered the highest acceptable temperature for them, but most tropical fish prefer above that. If the tank is going to be at or below 75 degrees, go for it!

If you want plants, don't do the 150 gallon. The lighting required for a planted tank that deep would be insane. A 125 gallon actually has more options for both fish and plants because it has a larger footprint. The 150 gallon is a better size for reef tanks or african cichlid tanks because it has more height for big rock piles.

Also, for fish: Clown loaches! A school of massive clown loaches would be amazing in that tank.

Plus 1 on tanks for planted aquariums. My tank height is 30inch and its tough getting the light that deep. It can be done, imo a quad t5ho would be the minimum (possibly with led moon lights). That would be with co2 injection. Without co2 and a basic light I just found plant growth was very slow.

Oh, you're so lucky to start over! So much possibility! Red Headed Geophagus is an awesome fish too, such personality! Clown loaches are so playful, like little dolphins. Rainbow fish look so beautiful! Angels are awesome. My favorite schooling fish are the Giant Danios. They group so tightly and stay in formation (although not so colorful) and they don't get lost in a big tank they way some smaller school fish do. So much possibility.

I'm trying to get my boyfriend into fish keeping so he can do a HUGE elephant nose tank. They are SOOO AWESOME. But require reseach. Always dreamt of that.

Good luck.

Caleb

Dojo Loaches are some of my favorite fish ever. I had two in my last tank. Hand fed them a lot. yes they where fat, my wife almost yelled at our son for putting a hotdog in the tank just to give you a size comparison. If I cupped my hand in the water my really fat one would swim up in it and let you touch him. Farting little bastards though.

Oh, you're so lucky to start over! So much possibility! Red Headed Geophagus is an awesome fish too, such personality! Clown loaches are so playful, like little dolphins. Rainbow fish look so beautiful! Angels are awesome. My favorite schooling fish are the Giant Danios. They group so tightly and stay in formation (although not so colorful) and they don't get lost in a big tank they way some smaller school fish do. So much possibility.

I'm trying to get my boyfriend into fish keeping so he can do a HUGE elephant nose tank. They are SOOO AWESOME. But require reseach. Always dreamt of that.

Good luck.

I am actually quite happy to get a second go at this with some more knowledge and tricks. When I bought my first tank I made the rookie mistake most people do. I went and bought a 20 gallon tank from Wal-Mart. Put some gravel in it, some water treatment, a few of the Wal-Mart fish, then my biggest mistake was buying a little tiny white Koi.

Then I bought a 55 gallon tank after everything got to big, walked down the isle of Pet-Co and pointed and picked. Then I finally realized they had forms and tons of information online. Started fallowing it, slowly selling and swapping out my tank. Now, since I have a fresh start, more knowledge, more ideas, I can do it all again. This time right for fish.

Back
Top Bottom