starting off with two dwarf gourami! wish me luck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
wish me luck i have two dwarf gourami's in my 10g hex and over the next week i'm hoping the tank will start to begin cycling i'll be montoring every couple of days! hehe i'm thinking about tank mates for these two dwarfs! suggestions? maybe a little school of tetras? so exciting!

For a 10gal im not sure how big of a school you could get
also, cycling with dwarf gouramis could kill them if you aren't careful. I have never thought of dwarf gouramis being the most hardy of fish (i mean they are hardy, but I don't know how they would respond in a cycling situation)
Do you have adaquete hiding places for them? Sometimes you can get two laid back dwarf's or you could get one that has an ugly tempermant. Keep an eye on them and provide hiding places

lets hope they survive they both seem to cope very well with each other as of now, so lets hope for the best

i attempted over the summer and i still have a huge bottle of ammonia, but i wanted the fish now so i guess i'll just be very careful with these two fish and monitor the water carefully, i'll change the water every few days to keep nitrates and ammonia down.

I have recently acquired two male dwarf gourami. They really need a cave and at least a couple of live plants as i have found out. Your gouramis may chase each oher and become a bit territorial (like mine did as they are both male and one is bigger than the other) but if you rearrange the tank furniture they'll stop. Mine stopped being territorial when I added one of those aerating power filters. Maybe you could add a plant that takes up ammonia and another that takes up nitrate to help cycling?

my bio spira arrives today, can i just add it in and hope for the best?

You can add the BIO-Spira immediately but you should still monitor your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates to be on the safe side.

yea i'm planning on checking them every few days for a couple weeks until my readings are normal. no normal means - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and max maybe 40 nitrates?

help, one of them is chasing the other around and it seems to be trying to like bite it's tail. HELP!!! What's going on? I've had the fish for around 4 days and they didn't do this originally. any ideas? help!!

As I said before, Miy dwarf gouramis tend to do that. Did you get two males? I found that one of my males was, like yours, chasing the other one and was trying to bite the tail. This is because one of my males had decided on its territory and whenever the other one trespassed into it, it would chase it. Perhaps that is what is happening to your fish. Its only really serious if you get some fin damage on the chased one. Mine havn't got to that yet. If you really want to do something about it, rearrange your tank furniture so that the agressive one can't make territories. It helps

Back
Top Bottom