Starting out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm aware of that but I really don't want an empty tank for forever

Trust me... Cycling fish-in takes longer than fish less. The tank wouldn't be empty for that long. Just until the parameters straighten out. Livebearers are good hardy fish and would probably survive the cycle. Just keep up on them water changes

I was in a hurry when I did my 55 gal so I only waited about 4 days. I bought tiger barbs, Bala shark and a rainbow shark, all of them died in about a week except the rainbow shark(which is the gf's, go future). And it's been almost a year since I started the tank and he is still happily swimming around. Anyways I would probably wait to add fish just because if you get hardy fish now just to cycle your tank, then you will be stuck with those fish unless you know your lfs will take them back after a certain period of time.

I just really want some fish off the bat.. at this point I don't really care which ones... its just the matter of I can't wait any longer than I need to

I always do fish in cycle and never loose fish. It all depends on what you want to stock in your tank. What type of fish do you want to keep?

I agree with the Danios and guppies.

If you notice the guy that lost all his fish he started with way to many fish. If you are doing a fish cycle start slow just a few fish at a time. If he did just a few barbs he would have been fine

So if I stick to a few at a time I'll be fine?

As the cycle progresses you'll want to keep adding a few fish at a time to get the filters and tank to build bacteria to withstand the bioload. Do you have another tank running now? Or maybe a friend or relatives? If so you can seed the tank from another and it will make the cycle go faster, maybe instantly cycle if your lucky

Back
Top Bottom