Starting Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
After 9 months we had to take our 29 gallon tank down. We lost all the fish and decided to start over. I will be buying a new filter(Aquaclear 70). I have soaked the statues/decorations in very hot water and will let them dry in the sun for several days. Will do the same with the gravel. How do I clean the tank? I want to be sure to remove any algae and bacteria that could have cause all the fish to die. What is the best way to do this?

After 9 months we had to take our 29 gallon tank down. We lost all the fish and decided to start over. I will be buying a new filter(Aquaclear 70). I have soaked the statues/decorations in very hot water and will let them dry in the sun for several days. Will do the same with the gravel. How do I clean the tank? I want to be sure to remove any algae and bacteria that could have cause all the fish to die. What is the best way to do this?

You can wipe it down with a water/bleach solution, then rinse with HOT water. Let dry in the sun for days. If you have calcium buildup then vinegar,razor blade and a bit of elbow grease should do the trick.

I had a similar experience, I used white vinegar and washed everything then a good rinse in hot water before drying thoroughly in the sun. Another option is to boil everything you can, and then let it dry. I try and stay away from bleach as it has chloramines and chlorine derivatives that can still be active after drying.

Back
Top Bottom