Starting over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMacInnis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, everyone-

It's time for me to retire my five-year-old tank setup and start something new. The soil is depleted, and the plants have become something of a crypto monoculture. But the tank is otherwise very healthy, and I have some wonderful fish who have been with me for most of those years, including a gorgeous clown loach who's now pretty big. (We have long conversations with each other and have developed a secret friendship.)

I have some emotion about decommissioning the setup. I'd like to keep the fish, but it's going to take a while to strip, clean, set up, and cycle the tank, so they will need a home for a few months. Has anyone here figured out a good way to keep the fish happy and healthy while doing this?

Alternatively, I could find them another permanent home, but I'm not sure how likely it is that they'll survive the transfer, since a few of them are rather old.

Any thoughts or insights from the group on this topic in general?

Hey, everyone-

It's time for me to retire my five-year-old tank setup and start something new. The soil is depleted, and the plants have become something of a crypto monoculture. But the tank is otherwise very healthy, and I have some wonderful fish who have been with me for most of those years, including a gorgeous clown loach who's now pretty big. (We have long conversations with each other and have developed a secret friendship.)

I have some emotion about decommissioning the setup. I'd like to keep the fish, but it's going to take a while to strip, clean, set up, and cycle the tank, so they will need a home for a few months. Has anyone here figured out a good way to keep the fish happy and healthy while doing this?

Alternatively, I could find them another permanent home, but I'm not sure how likely it is that they'll survive the transfer, since a few of them are rather old.

Any thoughts or insights from the group on this topic in general?

It shouldn't be as difficult as that. Drain, remove soil, add soil and refill. Fish removed of course. The trick is to add many types of plants especially fast growing floating stem plants that will help keep the fish safe by consuming any excess nitrogenous waste. If you have a filter, the bacteria on the sponge and any other decor that are in the tank will also reduce the likelihood of you losing fish. Even if parameters get out of hand, you can still do water changes.

How have you found using a soil substrate on the whole? I have heard that soil substrates can last this long. How long ago was it that it became depleted and do you use any other kind of fertilisation like carbon, macro/micronutrients?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have been using the soil substrate for five years, and I'd say the strange plant growth began about 18 months ago. In particular, the broad variety of plants I kept, like dwarf baby tears, a variety of crypts, and anubias have taken over. (I said crypts in the original post, but I was tired.)

Generally, I love the Amazonia soil. I have it in my 10g, and the plants love it as they did years ago in the 50g tank. I have experienced no issues with the soil other than this depletion... iron rods (etc.) inserted into the substrate have not really changed the circumstances.

I will likely drain and refill the tank and hope for the best with my little buggers... :fish1: <3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have been using the soil substrate for five years, and I'd say the strange plant growth began about 18 months ago. In particular, the broad variety of plants I kept, like dwarf baby tears, a variety of crypts, and anubias have taken over. (I said crypts in the original post, but I was tired.)

Generally, I love the Amazonia soil. I have it in my 10g, and the plants love it as they did years ago in the 50g tank. I have experienced no issues with the soil other than this depletion... iron rods (etc.) inserted into the substrate have not really changed the circumstances.

I will likely drain and refill the tank and hope for the best with my little buggers... :fish1: <3

Thanks for that and good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom