Starting over (lost my 55 G FW)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got back from a 12 day vacation to find that my entire tank is dead. Needless to say, I'm bummed. I've gone on trips before and never had any problems. It was a mature tank (over 6 years old, running without a hitch). I had a small school of roseline sharks, some clown loaches, yo-yo loaches, and a couple of other small fish. Not sure if my heater went ballistic or if something bumped the thermostat (it is pretty sensitive), but the temp was up close to 100, so it's not hard to figure out the cause of death. :(

I'm still trying to figure out whether to start over, and if so, what direction to go with the tank now. But since I've never had this happen before, I'm not sure what I need to do to the tank itself. Since there was no disease, I don't think I need to completely sanitize everything. I was planning on removing most of the water, doing a few deep vacs, giving all the decorations a good rinse, and changing out my filter media. Any of you vets recommend anything more?

Just got back from a 12 day vacation to find that my entire tank is dead. Needless to say, I'm bummed. I've gone on trips before and never had any problems. It was a mature tank (over 6 years old, running without a hitch). I had a small school of roseline sharks, some clown loaches, yo-yo loaches, and a couple of other small fish. Not sure if my heater went ballistic or if something bumped the thermostat (it is pretty sensitive), but the temp was up close to 100, so it's not hard to figure out the cause of death. :(

I'm still trying to figure out whether to start over, and if so, what direction to go with the tank now. But since I've never had this happen before, I'm not sure what I need to do to the tank itself. Since there was no disease, I don't think I need to completely sanitize everything. I was planning on removing most of the water, doing a few deep vacs, giving all the decorations a good rinse, and changing out my filter media. Any of you vets recommend anything more?
Most likely your heater failed. It's an unfortunate problem that has occurred many times before this time. What measures you are doing now should be fine.

My advice is to make it a cool Angel tank, I always wanted to do Angels in my 55 gallon... ;)

Back
Top Bottom