Starting Over - weird numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed in my tanks that the algae appeared about 7 to 14 days before the nitrates appeared. I don't know if there is any correlation, or if it was just coincidence.

TomK2 said:
I noticed in my tanks that the algae appeared about 7 to 14 days before the nitrates appeared. I don't know if there is any correlation, or if it was just coincidence.
Trace nitrates are enough to feed the algae, it's not until you have increased concentrations of nitrates that they show up on the test?

Otto's...at least 3.

If its brown and wipes off easily its diatoms and they appear at/near the end of the cycle...your in good shape!

ALMOST A MONTH!

and I have nitrates (well 5 ppm, anyway).

I still get zero on the ammonia and nitrites.

I guess there is such a thing as a non-ammonia spiking fishy cycle.

I'm now ready to add 2-3 ottos and some seashells we picked up from the beach today.

I probably won't get a chance to add the ottos until the weekend.

Hooray!

Congrats! Don't go too fast, a few inches of fish per week to make sure everything is OK. Keeps that new tank feeling going longer. :) Good job.

:multi: :multi: ...You got it done!!!Feels great doesn't it?

3 things....

Save the ottos until the tank is better established.

Keep the shells out...I've never used em,but read they can drive ph up....stable is the key here.....esp early on.

And lastly congratulations :)

Back
Top Bottom