Starting to lose interest...Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darren Bishop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Guys...please help...I have huge ammonia spike in a previously 20g well planted tank. Made mistake of changing substrate. ..leaving old filter n water...all ok for weeks...now a disaster. High ammonia for 2 weeks. ..losing fish n plants....doing daily water changes. Now im reading I shouldn't. ..and should try n let it re establish?? Thoroughly fed up...have 3 tanks...and never had this issue. ...my tank has sand substrate with internal filter. ...Help. ..cant solve it

What r your other tanks, I would deffitilt move your fish over 2 one if u can. Then I would let it work itself out

Thought about that...but one only just cycled and fish overload will screw it...Other small tankbat full cap

Large daily water changes and testing are going to be needed. Water changes will reduce toxins and keep your fish safe. Make sure to remove all rotting plant matter.

Last edited:
Yes I am...both the usual ones...I changed to sand from gravel. ...I also use same sand in my newly cycled tank with no issues. ...and that has wood in it....problem tank doesn't. ..I also use api to test

Check your filter for decomposing organic matter. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I was getting slightly higher ammonia readings and checked both my filters. I had tons of mulm built up and even found a dead shrimp in one. Quick rinses in old tank water and water changes did the trick. Dont get discouraged. An ammonia problem is one of the easily correctable tank issues.

Thank you...but also done the rinse out of filter. ..gently...in old water. ..still high ammonia. ...wouldn't mind...but this tank was perfect for months

3 platties...not well...2 gouramis. ..ok...3 tetra ..ok...3 rosy barbs. ..ok...2 bottom feeders. ..Small. ..n not well

I cleaned tank of residual waste and filter. ..though I used all the old stuff...didnt replace too much water. ..didnt replace any filters. ..all was well...for 2 weeks. ...

Hate to say this I had this problem found easiest thing to do was empty the tank of fish and water leave it 24 hours to kill the bacteria then start again put the filter that's in this tank in one of your others to keep any bb and that will help with the fish moving into the tank as well hope this helps

Emptying the tank isn't going to solve anything. I would just keep up with what you are doing, it should cycle through eventually.

But you weren't talking about simply doing a water change. You suggested keeping the tank empty for 24 hours. That isn't going to help the situation at all. When I advised to OP to keep doing what he is doing, I assumed it would be clear that he should keep up on the water changes.

I'm keeping up with chsnges...they not helping. ...I've cycled 3 tanks. ..fairly easily...this on was cycled till I changed substrate. ..done what I thought was the right thing at the time...changed. ..tested..all good...till now??dont understand what else to do

Back
Top Bottom